Jump to content

M1 Speed camera near near meadowhall flashing when no speed restrictions are in

Recommended Posts

Has anyone had a fine for going past the M1 south camera at j34 when there were no active speed restrictions ? Joining the motorway northbound I saw it flash quite a few people yet the gantries were not active.  Someone from work was caught by the one a j33 a couple of months ago on a Sunday when no restrictions were in place. They don't seem to be active all the time though as people fly past it at higher speeds all the time.  No 'don't  speed then' comments please,. Thats not what this is about!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes they flash if you go above say 70 with signs not lit up but other times I’ve seen cops go through at well above 70 and no flash 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for that, i am driving down there tomorrow, so i will make sure i'm not speeding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if there's an error on some of these gantry cameras(usually the ones overhanging where the hard shoulder should be).

I came up the M1 last week in the early hours of the morning, i overtook a car who was hogging the middle lane,i was doing at least 80.

The cameras didn't flash but in my rear view mirror in the distance i saw the lights flash the middle lane guy (who was still in the same lane after about 3 miles)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

That report loses all credence as soon as it says only a third of drivers have gone over 70MPH. 

Given how busy motorways are, I can belive that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it the HADECS 3 cameras that are mounted on the side of the gantries??

They arn't controlled by the restrictions but are set to around 80 ish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

That report loses all credence as soon as it says only a third of drivers have gone over 70MPH. 

Not at all.

 

I know a ton of drivers who avoid motorways and certainly wouldn't do 70mph on a dual carriageway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carltoncdx said:

Is it the HADECS 3 cameras that are mounted on the side of the gantries??

They arn't controlled by the restrictions but are set to around 80 ish.

 

Where are your getting that info from? They aren't set to that most of the time, people often do 90 or more and they don't go off. Most reports say they are only active when restrictions are in place but every now and again you get an Article in the mail or similar saying police forces are going to turn then on all the time and set then to 70!  I drive up past Leeds often and a fair proportion of people are easily exceeding 80 and 90.   The guy at work is the only person I know who had been caught by one when it was not active, I was seeing if anyone else had been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/05/2019 at 09:09, neeeeeeeeeek said:

Has anyone had a fine for going past the M1 south camera at j34 when there were no active speed restrictions ? Joining the motorway northbound I saw it flash quite a few people yet the gantries were not active.  Someone from work was caught by the one a j33 a couple of months ago on a Sunday when no restrictions were in place. They don't seem to be active all the time though as people fly past it at higher speeds all the time.  No 'don't  speed then' comments please,. Thats not what this is about!! :)

But there is always an active speed restriction. Its 70mph on a motorway. Tis in that there Highway Code! The gantry signs just advise if the legal speed limit is temporarily reduced- and one would be wise to take notice, as it is generally reduced for safety reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 May 2019 at 09:09, neeeeeeeeeek said:

 on a Sunday when no restrictions were in place. 

As far as I know, the Isle of Man is the only public road where there are no restrictions in place on a Sunday, and that is only on the last day of TT week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.