Anyone who went to Shiregreen Sec Modern 1950-1960?

The penny has finally dropped Bits, have sent a message to you in your private box, great to hear from you, Malc

The song was 'Down in Demerara'

Ah happy days!

Mr Broadhead

Mr Lawton - books had to be backed in good quality brown paper from Kenyons (some tried the back of wallpaper - not a good idea) the label had to be five and a half inches by 3 and a half inches - the only teacher who made this rule!!

Miss Bennett

Mr Smith was the Head although I remember Mr Lamb

I left and went to Hinde House to take GCE exams - horrid place - nothing like good old Shiregreen

Remeber the song:

Our infant days are ended now

Our early childhood done

etc

I do indeed remember Fanny F standing on a stool- I started at Shiregreen only in my last few terms at school- Picture this I'm fairly tall and walked into assembly to see this woman towering above all of us, conducting like mad. Then she later got down from the stool- awesome woman. I think the teacher I was asking about was probably Mr Broadhead/hurst from Canada?

Also in my time was Mr Nichols- all the girls were in love with him and after I left school his wife taught me shorthand for a time.

As for Yvonne or maybe Elaine Nightingale, Tedwood, I think most of the boys had a crush on her (secret* she was the first girl with a bosom of any note)

Rubbish! ...Elain Nightingale was nothing compared to.."Christine Johnson"..The first love of my life..She was terrific....wasn,t she lads ?????.

I stand corrected Timbuck- I didn't know Christine Johnson so I'll take your word for it. BTW I wasn't too bad looking myself (she says modestly) I "blossomed" after I left school though.:P

I stand corrected Timbuck- I didn't know Christine Johnson so I'll take your word for it. BTW I wasn't too bad looking myself (she says modestly) I "blossomed" after I left school though.:P
A couple of other girls who I liked at school were "Celia Swan of 4 Daffadill Rd"

and "Winifred Kimpton"...still remember them even tho' it was 56 years ago.

Hi windmilgal,

I remember Miss Bennet she was my form teacher, Mr Smith the head teacher

I went to shiregreen school from infants to leaving in 1968, the Hunk Teacher in Seniors was Mr Naylor, Mr Goslin was the Science Teacher, Mr Kemp took us for Geography he became head teacher at my daughters school (Hillsborough junior) in about 19986/7 but he died after only being there for about 6 months, I used to live opposit the junior end of the school Bracken Rd / Wincobank Ave, Haddon's the name before I got married.

ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE REMEMBER SHIRGREEN FLOWER ESTATE 1960'S

(That Estate Was Brill Back Then)

The song was 'Down in Demerara'

Ah happy days!

Mr Broadhead

Mr Lawton - books had to be backed in good quality brown paper from Kenyons (some tried the back of wallpaper - not a good idea) the label had to be five and a half inches by 3 and a half inches - the only teacher who made this rule!!

Miss Bennett

Mr Smith was the Head although I remember Mr Lamb

I left and went to Hinde House to take GCE exams - horrid place - nothing like good old Shiregreen

Remeber the song:

Our infant days are ended now

Our early childhood done

etc

anyone remember the bond family they went to shiregreen school in 40s and 50s they lived on windmill lane

I remember the Bond family very well!! Mrs Bond was huge and very frightening, they always seemed a bit hard up and pretty rough, hope I hav'nt offended anyone.

no u have not offended me lol but my gran was not that scary she was apussycat lol

I left this school in 1958, at the age of 15..

I remember the bomb shelter with a concrete roof, that we spent hours playing there,.. And being in a classroom with about 40 kids trying to get my head around simple math. While meyhem ensued. 

This is from late 40s to 50s anybody there around this time.