The Virtues Channel 4

5 hours ago, iamwoody said:

apparently all the " actors" in the pub scene were regulars at the hen and chickens so all this helps with the " amateur / realistic feel " to it .

It seems to me that Shane Meadows runs some scenes where there is no script. Instead he tells the actors to speak, converse spontaneously.

There was a number like this in This is England. One where they were having Sunday lunch (In a house near Lowedges park) and they were all talking at the same time. I thought there's no way they are following a script. To add to the authenticity the curtains fell down.

It added to a brilliant scene

The pub scene in The Virtues seemed the same. 

Edited by abbeyedges

I read in an interview a few days ago that quite a lot of it was ad-lib.
It was also filmed chronologically which is quite unusual. 
They didnt even know exactly how it was going to end until they were already filming the final episode.

I imagine its going to get quite harrowing as it goes on, even more so when you think it was based on actual events from Shane Meadows life :( 

The old boys home he broke into was the former Brincliffe Towers nursing home on Brincliffe Edge Rd

Last week I thought the filming had moved to Ireland and then noticed a road sign 'Tom Lane' and began to question if in fact they were still in Sheffield.

Endcliffe Park cafe confirmed they still were.

Any more locations?

Joseph was in another pub this week.  Was it Sheffield?

The 'irish' screens were filmed in Hundall & Apperknowle. The pub in episode 3 was the Barrack in Apperknowle , the exterior also featured in episopde 4, don't know the other pub in episode 4. The housing estates in episode 4 looked like Barrow hill / Whittington , but not sure.