The Towers- Sandygate Road

Does anybody know the history of this place-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/coldwell+lane/@53.3766787,-1.5339828,62a,35y,332.86h,45.44t/data=!3m1!1e3

I understand it has been a private house for probably 20 years since it was sold off by the council. I understand the buyer (a local property investor) picked it up fairly cheap and made it his home. I dont think it went to auction...... Prior to this I think it was a school or home for the mentally ill? Prior to this I dont know. I stand to be corrected!

I bet its made an amazing home, and have always wondered what the view is like from the top of the tower..I think Id have a roof garden up there..

Edited by lil-minx92
wrong word

4 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Does anybody know the history of this place-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/coldwell+lane/@53.3766787,-1.5339828,62a,35y,332.86h,45.44t/data=!3m1!1e3

I understand it has been a private house for probably 20 years since it was sold off by the council. I understand the buyer (a local property investor) picked it up fairly cheap and made it his home. I dont think it went to auction...... Prior to this I think it was a school or home for the mentally ill? Prior to this I dont know. I stand to be corrected!

I bet its made an amazing home, and have always wondered what the view is like from the top of the tower..I think Id have a roof garden up there..

A very good friend of mine lives in it I have been to the top of the towers the view is magnificent

My friend from Fulwood, told me his Grandad helped put the 'Crazy Stones' on the property, and that he thought they were 'Barmy'. But they obviously did a good job

of it as they're still up.

Briefly, it was built by one Leng, the Canadian propriator of the "Telegraph" and "Star".  Part of the New Model Dairy estate. The dairy was behind the houses to the left of the Plough, still there in the 60's and in use by Northern Dairies as a depot.   Most of this has now been built over.  The lodge, which is the part

you see from the road, had it's outside area reduced in the 60's to make the corner safer.  Yes, it was used as a place for mentally sub-normal, unbelievable as it may sound I remember seeing them on the bus with a label on them in case they got lost whilst out.