Thieving Goes Unpunished. Lack of Police.

Never really subscribed to the theory that we lack 20,000 coppers, the number May axed in her previous job.

But, had a drive to the local Co op this evening and was shocked by what occurred while I was at the counter. Chap behind the till was speaking into his earpiece/microphone telling one of the staff someone had picked up two bottles of spirits and was making for the door. Staff member duly caught him and retrieved the 2 bottles of Vodka from him. I asked have you held the thief while the Police arrive,  I was shocked by his answer, " no point, if we phone they simply don't attend".  Apparently they have rung for the Coppers many times, all to no avail. So now they don't bother. What is happening to the Country when thieves simply walk away, and the Rozzers let them.

Angel1.

4 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Never really subscribed to the theory that we lack 20,000 coppers, the number May axed in her previous job.

But, had a drive to the local Co op this evening and was shocked by what occurred while I was at the counter. Chap behind the till was speaking into his earpiece/microphone telling one of the staff someone had picked up two bottles of spirits and was making for the door. Staff member duly caught him and retrieved the 2 bottles of Vodka from him. I asked have you held the thief while the Police arrive,  I was shocked by his answer, " no point, if we phone they simply don't attend".  Apparently they have rung for the Coppers many times, all to no avail. So now they don't bother. What is happening to the Country when thieves simply walk away, and the Rozzers let them.

Angel1.

You explained the problem right at the beginning.

Too few police.

Unfortunately people only realise this when they are impacted themselves or see unpunished crimes taking place.

Then they complain 

Change your vote. The Tories are crippling the police force.

The police are too busy dealing with hate speech  on the internet. They also have a fondness of harassing people in pursuit of lawful activity. 

7 hours ago, AlAN J said:

The police are too busy dealing with hate speech  on the internet. They also have a fondness of harassing people in pursuit of lawful activity. 

Examples of that?

Do you think having 20,000 less police officers is a help or a hindrance?

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

Examples of that?

Do you think having 20,000 less police officers is a help or a hindrance?

No doubt after what I saw, lack of Police is a hindrance. More than that even, a complete disgrace.

Angel1

12 hours ago, AlAN J said:

If a choice has to be made (which it shouldn't) between the police protecting someone being abused online and a supermarket losing a couple of bottles of vodka, the person should take preference over a supermarket's profit every time.

The reality of course, is that the vast majority of reported online abuse goes uninvestigated. 

Local inspector attended our forum meeting on Monday after a spate in burglaries and car thefts this spring.

I'm not going to go into the politics of it  (we all know about the massive cuts in numbers of uniformed officers) but he now has just two officers to cover city centre, upperthorpe, Walkley Broomhall, crosspool and Deepcar, not including the few PCSOs. When he joined the police 20 years ago he had a sergeant stationed in each area 

What did shock me was the time spent dealing with mental health and domestics. 60% of their time is now dealing with mental health problems picking up the sort of issues that used to be dealt with by the NHS. Made worse by a big reduction in the number of mental health nurses. 

The good news on our burglary epidemic is that 4 suspects have been arrested, 2 are on remand and 2 on bail and it seems to have calmed down

Not so good news, they won't be coming out to any car crimes unless there is the possibility of DNA evidence.

The advice was to keep using the online reporting systems even if an incident seem minor as it builds up a pattern for them to target resources. 

37 minutes ago, WalkleyIan said:

What did shock me was the time spent dealing with mental health and domestics. 60% of their time is now dealing with mental health problems picking up the sort of issues that used to be dealt with by the NHS. Made worse by a big reduction in the number of mental health nurses. 

That is an aspect of austerity which is underdiscussed.

It is not simply about the number of police officers available to deal with a fixed amount of crime. While police resources are falling the amount of mental health and drug related issues is rising, largely due to the reduction of support services in both areas.

Those who voted for austerity in 2010, 2015 and again in 2017 many of whom post on here, should not be complaining about the results of that policy. Tax cuts vs public services is a choice we all make under our current system when we go to vote.

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Those who voted for austerity in 2010, 2015 and again in 2017 many of whom post on here, should not be complaining about the results of that policy. Tax cuts vs public services is a choice we all make under our current system when we go to vote.

Labour said they would have also made big austerity cuts if they'd won in 2010 - and have prior experience of making big police cuts when they were in power:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/apr/15/whitehall.westminsterandwhitehall

But I'm sure Labour will put a bobby on every street corner when they're in power won't they?

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

But I'm sure Labour will put a bobby on every street corner when they're in power won't they?

It depends on what the priority is.

Is it better to allow crime to rise and throw more police numbers at it or to reduce crime and therefore not require increased police numbers.

I would argue that tackling crime at its source would be a win-win policy.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Labour said they would have also made big austerity cuts if they'd won in 2010 - and have prior experience of making big police cuts when they were in power:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/apr/15/whitehall.westminsterandwhitehall

Am I right to conclude from this that you are in favour of the drastic cuts that the police have faced?