Cuthbert bank pub / Hmo

Noticed some work going on in this closed down pub,Seems its going to be converted into a 13 bed HMO,

Also heard someone had bought the old Burgoyne arms pub not sure whats going to happen with that if true,

And the old motorcycle shop being converted into flats as well,

Better than letting them going to beyond repair.

The Burgoyne has got trees growing in it so a fair bit of work required there. It stank of damp when it was still open as a pub.

The Burgoyne is a listed building as far as I am aware so the main structure has to stay. When it was initially sold after being vacated (for below half the price suggested at a non-selling auction), I believe the new owner was applying to renovate to half residential flats and half offices. People broke in, smashed it to pieces, ripped out all the copper piping and left water running everywhere. It’s been left to rot ever since. But maybe that’s the plan...

20 hours ago, speleo1 said:

Noticed some work going on in this closed down pub,Seems its going to be converted into a 13 bed HMO,

Also heard someone had bought the old Burgoyne arms pub not sure whats going to happen with that if true,

And the old motorcycle shop being converted into flats as well,

Better than letting them going to beyond repair.

£70 a week per room = £3640 per month in rent. Nice little earner for the landlord. 

11 hours ago, Happ said:

The Burgoyne is a listed building as far as I am aware so the main structure has to stay. When it was initially sold after being vacated (for below half the price suggested at a non-selling auction), I believe the new owner was applying to renovate to half residential flats and half offices. People broke in, smashed it to pieces, ripped out all the copper piping and left water running everywhere. It’s been left to rot ever since. But maybe that’s the plan...

There was someone is the yard of the Burgoyne a few weeks ago, clearing out the dumped rubbish. Maybe they are finally starting on development.   I hope so.  As mentioned above, I'd rather see these buildings put to some use, they'll never be used commercially again, and the demand for flats and HMOs is there. 

Yes i popped my head over the fence looking in the yard and it was all cleared of rubbish,

There was some pictures on the web were some people had got in the burgoyne and it was in a right state of repair,

I've just been past the Burgoyne, and it is being demolished.  The back looks to be down already, and the side where the yard was is also mostly gone. 

When I passed the other day there was a bloke on the roof pulling small trees and greenery out of the chimney.

Another flat block then I guess.

On 14/05/2019 at 09:29, Happ said:

The Burgoyne is a listed building as far as I am aware so the main structure has to stay. 

Not a  listed building according to this;

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/

Nearest building listed is Hillsborough Barracks - nearest pub listed the Farfield, Neepsend (listed as the Owl).

another pub lost forever,when will this end or will we just be left with a few big pubs?

54 minutes ago, bassett one said:

another pub lost forever,when will this end or will we just be left with a few big pubs?

People just don't go to them as often anymore, the closures will continue, particularly of the less successful or financially viable.