Jump to content

My dogs paw cut on broken glass

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When I was a kid, glass bottles, pop bottles especially, were worth something.  They had a refundable deposit on them.  We used to go searching the hedgerows for them, rinse them out, and take them back to the shop to get the deposit.  It was usually 3d, which I guess is about 1 and a bit new pence.  But that would buy us loads of Black Jacks, Mojo's and Fruit Salad chews.

 

If we don't want people to just dump stuff, whatever it is, give it a value.

Edited by DerbyTup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

When I was a kid, glass bottles, pop bottles especially, were worth something.  They had a refundable deposit on them.  We used to go searching the hedgerows for them, rinse them out, and take them back to the shop to get the deposit.  It was usually 3d, which I guess is about 1 and a bit new pence.  But that would buy us loads of Black Jacks, Mojo's and Fruit Salad chews.

 

If we don't want people to just dump stuff, whatever it is, give it a value.

Totally agree - we did the same  as kids was an excellent idea to get peopl effectively litter picking for a few pence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

When I was a kid, glass bottles, pop bottles especially, were worth something.  They had a refundable deposit on them.  We used to go searching the hedgerows for them, rinse them out, and take them back to the shop to get the deposit.  It was usually 3d, which I guess is about 1 and a bit new pence.  But that would buy us loads of Black Jacks, Mojo's and Fruit Salad chews.

 

If we don't want people to just dump stuff, whatever it is, give it a value.

Excellent post Derby, true story.

When I was bus conducting in the 60s, on the outer circular route, I spotted 2 Jusoda bottles lying in the grass verge outside Norton Aerodrome. picked them up and paid for 2 teas at Malin Bridge café with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Padders said:

Excellent post Derby, true story.

When I was bus conducting in the 60s, on the outer circular route, I spotted 2 Jusoda bottles lying in the grass verge outside Norton Aerodrome. picked them up and paid for 2 teas at Malin Bridge café with them.

😃  Exactly that! 

 

"Jusoda" eh?  That brings back memories.  Used to the "Fanta orange" of it's day.  Many a time we've had an empty Jusoda bottle, filled with water, for picnics down in the woods.  (It paid to get first swags, or there'd be bits of bread off someone else's teeth floating about in it later).:gag: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

😃  Exactly that! 

 

"Jusoda" eh?  That brings back memories.  Used to the "Fanta orange" of it's day.  Many a time we've had an empty Jusoda bottle, filled with water, for picnics down in the woods.  (It paid to get first swags, or there'd be bits of bread off someone else's teeth floating about in it later).:gag: 

Jusoda!! - haven't heard that name for about 50 years despite all the reminiscing I do with cronies nowadays!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you still get dandelion & burdock? That used to be our favourite in the 60s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Janus said:

Can you still get dandelion & burdock? That used to be our favourite in the 60s

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in my day, before I came up to Sheffield in the 80s from 'darn sarf', it was one litre Corona pop bottles, worth 10p a shot to pick up and take back to the newsagents. Paid for many a pick'n'mix at the time.

 

Apols that this is slightly off topic though... as a dog-owner myself, I hope the poorly pooch is soon back on all 4 feet / paws !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2019 at 17:02, francypants said:

Yes.

As a kid, I used to try making my own.  We had lots of dandelions in the garden.  We were rather short of burdock though.  It tasted awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The lack of societal standards in all contexts is so very depressing and I feel for you and your dog. 

Solution?

As individuals, we can only do what we can do.   

General littering is where this starts and is one of my many beefs. 

I deal with it and find  some comfort in picking a handful of it up on every dog-walk and would recommend everyone to do it - pick it up!  We missed the boat in not copying what Germans et al do i.e. make every householder/business owner clear up  litter from and around their property.  

Standards have fallen. 

However drunk I was as a student, rugby player or yoof, I kept hold of wrappers, paper, trays, bottles until I found a bin or got home.   

Deliberate, mindless smashing of glass (or, close to me recently, setting fire to flammables in a bin or to construction equipment) is beyond the pale and frustratingly difficult to comprehend and battle against. 

Standards, boring standards lost in the mist of time. 

Authority is no longer given the respect it once had.   We have all become cynical about local and national politicians and distrustful of the Police (on occasions); we are increasingly a secular society, kids no longer go to Sunday school to be told when and where to stand and sit down, when to sing, pray, listen. 

We seem to have lost our way. 

 

Edited by DT Ralge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.