To live a thousand years.

I've just finished Paul Broks's "The Darker  the Night the Brighter the Stars.

In this book he writes that the first person to live to a thousand has already been born.

Is this just science fiction?  If it were to be true, would it even be desirable ? 

How long would you have to work for? I've done 41 years and I'm fed up to the back teeth. 

I would say the relevance is good health. We know what people are like at 100 years of age.

Living to 1000 years? What a horrible thought.

I read an article (alas I do not know the source) saying 150 years. However for the 150 years I would want my body to be that of a 21 year old.

5 hours ago, blackydog said:

How long would you have to work for? I've done 41 years and I'm fed up to the back teeth. 

I'll raise you ! Done 48years and still have 2 more to go but then won't be able to afford to live !!  and probably won't be fit enough anyway.  Fed up to the back teeth doesn't even come close to how I feel so I think I'll pass on the 1000 years.

5 hours ago, Mikes10 said:

I read an article (alas I do not know the source) saying 150 years. However for the 150 years I would want my body to be that of a 21 year old.

That's the answer, 21 years old and fit, bring on the 150/1000 years.

Angel1.

I suppose if your mind stays sharp and your body holds up, why not? I sometimes wish I'd had my 50 something brain in my 19 year old body.  I'd have been unstoppable.  

My father in law is 95. He's lost his wife and both of his stepdaughters. He's had to leave his country home he's owned for over 60 years. He can't go to the bathroom when he wants to and he forgets who his kids and grandkids are. Never mind the greatgrands and other assorted family and friends.

Maybe nature knows what she's doing by limiting our lifespans.

8 hours ago, petemcewan said:

I've just finished Paul Broks's "The Darker  the Night the Brighter the Stars.

In this book he writes that the first person to live to a thousand has already been born.

Is this just science fiction?  If it were to be true, would it even be desirable ? 

I heard the first swifts above our street yesterday and it made me aware that I cherish such things as I get older. I don't want to live for another thousand years, another 30 in reasonable health will do for me.

If there was a way to stop or slow the aging process then I'd be up for 1,000 years. Why not? Ideally still retire at 65 ish.

18 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

If there was a way to stop or slow the aging process then I'd be up for 1,000 years. Why not? Ideally still retire at 65 ish.

How would you spend the other 935?

30 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

How would you spend the other 935?

Chilling.