SSD recommendations

Looking to speed up an old machine with a small SSD. Anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various brands?
My Sandisk and Kingston have been fine but some OCZs went.

PNY and ADATA seem cheap at the moment

Cheap and cheerful - Gigabyte &  Integral (using both, no issues)

Higher Quality - Samsung  (using Evo & Pro, no issues)

I think MyMemory have 10% off their already low (ish) prices. Retail shops usually charge a fair bit more. I've not got the receipt handy but I think a 240GB Gigabyte one cost me about £35 from Scan.

Had the same problem with 2 OCZ's, one was still in warranty so go it replace by a refurbished one.

But... The Integral 240GB ones are a good price at £25 with free delivery on Amazon at the moment, and to be honest most are about the same when it comes to speed. 

Fitted a Kingston ssd to my laptop which did speed things up a little but not as great an improvement as I had hoped so traded up to a Samsung Evo which is a little better but still not amazing, maybe I am expecting too much ...

20 hours ago, peteh1 said:

Fitted a Kingston ssd to my laptop which did speed things up a little but not as great an improvement as I had hoped so traded up to a Samsung Evo which is a little better but still not amazing, maybe I am expecting too much ...

It may depend on how old the laptop is and whether it is SATA II (3Gbs)  or SATA III (6Gbs) . With SATA II the increase in speed over a mechanical drive is around 20%-50%, with SATA III the increase in speed should be at least double to treble that of a mechanical drive. 

Edited by apelike

Samsung Evo / Pro 860

Arguably the fastest in class and easily have the highest endurance rating for the price by a very long way.

I've had four OCZs in a suite of 25 machines fail about two years in.  Luckily under warranty.

Thanks for the replies, the upgrade made it boot (Linux) in about a third of the time, general use about 50% faster.

An Athlon 64, old M/B def not SATA III!

Have you tried Antix Linux?  I've never seen such amazing boot speeds and operation on old kit.

Yep, on an Acer Aspire, but it kept locking up - perhaps old hardware but it was happy with Windows 7.
Doesn't use systemd which I don't know much about but apparently an area of controversy in the L world.

Been more than happy with Samsung in both SATA and NVMe guises.

My boards NVMe socket was a bit awful, PCIe2.0 x2, but I had a PCIe 3.0x16 slot for the gfx card, luckily I don't need one so a cheap PCIe to NVMe M2 socket later and it's working full speed :)

Edited by Guest