Danny Baker? Racist or Misguided Fool?

Would he have been fired had the family in question not been the so-called royals?

I find the whole saga hilarious.

First DB says it was a joke but fails to explain it to we with no sense of humour.

Then the BBC shows the photo but not the bit which has the chimp in it so we with no imagination are sold short.

Got to admire DB's chutzpah in his laughable attempt to brazen it out. He must be the only person in the country not to know what he said he didn't know after it's been rammed down all our throats the last few days by his former employer.

I took it to mean another Royal baby circus. I could be wrong but either way it was a daft way to put any point of view across. He must have know despite how he meant it, it would have been viewed as racist by some.

In his effort to humour the left, he associated himself with the right, the reality being he just doesn't have much in the centre, Boom ! Boom ! …. he really should have known better, especially working for the Beeb lol.

I don't think for one second that Danny Baker is racist. He is desperate to be funny, edgy and relevant. If I'd have seen his caricature before all the furore  erupted I'd have seen it as a critique based on class rather than race.

Problem  Danny Baker has is that he is not clever or funny, his Saturday radio show is boring and banal, and terribly desperate to be funny, I've tried to get into it but it's hard work.

He's a bit of a man/child , similar to  his side kick Chris Evans and at 62 he needs to grow up  

I do feel sorry for him at this point to be accused of unconscious racism

He'll survive.

I do find the faux outrage of some BBC luvvies a bit rich

8 hours ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

I took it to mean another Royal baby circus. I could be wrong but either way it was a daft way to put any point of view across. He must have know despite how he meant it, it would have been viewed as racist by some.

I'm not sure he did know, probably never occurred to him, otherwise he wouldn't have done it

Edited by Ridgewalk

I see the problem in people who project their own racist perception (monkey = black) onto someone else's intention.

Edited by Branyy

3 minutes ago, Branyy said:

I see the problem in people who project their own racist perception (monkey = black) onto someone else's intention.

I agree. This is what Danny Baker more or less  said in his own defence

"I haven't got a diseased mind"

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

I'm not sure he did know, probably never occurred to him, otherwise he wouldn't have done it

Fair point.

Isn't "dropping the chimp" as in "has she dropped the chimp yet?" a euphemism for giving birth?

It beggars belief that a BBC presenter would tweet something like this with the intention of it being racist. It's more likely that he was having a cheeky dig at the royal family to emphasize his working class credentials and it never occurred to him that some people would connect a picture of a monkey with black people. He'd probably had a few drinks and forgot that we're living in an age of pc zealotry, with large numbers of self-righteous individuals looking for any excuse to take offence at anything they see as being a slur on any minority group. Monkeys have been a source of humour for decades because they look like funny little furry people, e.g. the PG Tips adverts in the 70s and films like 'Dunston Checks In'. During the war, it was illegal in Germany for monkeys to make the Nazi salute, presumably because some people had been training them to do so as a rebuke to the Nazi Party. He should have been given a warning and told to apologize live on air but this is what tends to happen when people with a moderate sense of humour feel the desperate need to be seen as comedians.

what a clown the bloke is , if they were both white then he wouldnt have put a chimp photo up, i just think he did it for attention and hes certanley got that,in my eyes its like him making monkey noises or throwing bananas on the pitch at the footi at a black player, the blokes a tool....

If he was racist he would not be stupid enough to post a picture like that on social media to advertise the fact.He thought it was funny for other reasons already explained.