Danny Baker? Racist or Misguided Fool?

Danny Baker? Racist or misguided fool?  I'll go with both. 

Never really cared much for him but what a strange way to end your BBC career & then trying to justify everything by telling reporters that you had no idea that a Prince Harry & Meghan Markle had just had a baby when there's been wall to wall media coverage for the past few days? 

So the social media post quoting their two names, alongside an old black & white photo of a couple holding hands with a baby chimp with a supposedly 'funny' quote about them leaving hospital with their new baby was mere coincidence? 

However having lost his job, the media will now be falling over themselves to pay him for his side of the story.  Maybe his old mate, Chris Evans will give him a job? 

Edited by Baron99
Spelling

He’s an idiot for the tweet. And a bigger idiot for trying to pretend that he didn’t know who’s baby it was. 

He’s never given any other indication of racist tendencies in a long and often controversial career. That makes this affair rather odd.

It is almost as though he was trying to get sacked.

Edited by Pettytom

I don't think it was racist. If he was racist, he'd surely not be stupid enough to post something like that on Twitter knowing full well he'd lose his job. I think he didn't see the connection and it was thoughtless, and his explanations afterwards were a bit panicked.

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I don't think it was racist. If he was racist, he'd surely not be stupid enough to post something like that on Twitter knowing full well he'd lose his job. I think he didn't see the connection and it was thoughtless, and his explanations afterwards were a bit panicked.

It's something you might expect to be concocted by an immature mind not some media savvy broadcaster. 

The BBC has well & truly washed their hands of him as they wouldn't even show the photo / Tweet in full at 6pm, unlike ITN at 6:30pm. 

6 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

no way was it racist. 

I promise I'll not come back at you for your point of view but would you like to explain further? 

Whether Baker is racist I'm not sure...but portraying the royal baby - much talked about for having just a wee bit of black heritage - as a chimpanzee? What the hell was he thinking? If he's stupid enough to fail to notice the negative associations of that one he deserves all he gets.

If it wasn't a racist idea, what was it? Is the chimp intended to suggest the royal babe is less than human or what? I don't get it at all.

20 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No excuse. 

Even if he isn't a racist, he's an insensitive loose cannon who is obviously too unprofessional  to be presenting a BBC radio programme. 

34 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

no way was it racist. 

What was it then? What do you think he meant?

What was the bloke thinking? I haven't seen it but can just imagine. I don't think for one minute it had racist undertones, if he had thoughts along those lines I'm sure he wouldn't have posted it, just unbelievable idiocy and insensitive.

Guest makapaka
11 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Whether Baker is racist I'm not sure...but portraying the royal baby - much talked about for having just a wee bit of black heritage - as a chimpanzee? What the hell was he thinking? If he's stupid enough to fail to notice the negative associations of that one he deserves all he gets.

If it wasn't a racist idea, what was it? Is the chimp intended to suggest the royal babe is less than human or what? I don't get it at all.

He said it was to do with class rather than race but don’t get why he chose that picture to demonstrate it if that was the case.

i don’t think he’s racist (I don’t know but he’s never displayed anything to suggest he is) but I agree it was a stupid thing to do and shows a massive lack of judgement and perception.

I don’t think he can have any complaints really.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

He said it was to do with class rather than race but don’t get why he chose that picture to demonstrate it if that was the case.

i don’t think he’s racist (I don’t know but he’s never displayed anything to suggest he is) but I agree it was a stupid thing to do and shows a massive lack of judgement and perception.

I don’t think he can have any complaints really.

Pretty much on the money. That said I suspect he’ll be on Talksport by the the start of next season.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Indeed - but I and I daresay you and many others see how a chimpanzee fits the notion of the working class.