Rat in the Garden

Just now, Orangepip said:

I don't care what colour it is, I'm not going to kill it regardless of any method anyone suggests, and certainly not drowning.

The only problem its causing is digging holes in the garden. Otherwise its not bothering us.

Its not ideal having a rat/rats, and I've only seen one, but all bird food, and feeders have been removed so I'll see if it trots off to pastures new.

The reference to the colour was with regards to whether it is an offence to release them. It is an offence to release black rats as they are not native. It is not an offence to release brown rats. 

It is an offence to drown rats whatever colour they are.  

I’m very glad to hear that you wouldn’t kill it  regardless, and the idea of killing any animal by drowning is absolutely abhorrent. 

On 14/05/2019 at 15:42, Dozer said:

If you had our cats, they would grab it, bring it inside, and then release it unharmed. Everyone happy.

Mine does that sadly minus the unharmed bit!

Judging by the amount she brings in they are pretty much everywhere.

Edited by Fudbeer

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

The reference to the colour was with regards to whether it is an offence to release them. It is an offence to release black rats as they are not native. It is not an offence to release brown rats. 

It is an offence to drown rats whatever colour they are.  

I’m very glad to hear that you wouldn’t kill it  regardless, and the idea of killing any animal by drowning is absolutely abhorrent. 

Its more light grey than brown or black

12 hours ago, Orangepip said:

Its more light grey than brown or black

Brown rats are often grey. 

On 18/05/2019 at 09:13, Robin-H said:

Brown rats are often grey. 

Its gone.

Once the bird food had been removed it went. I filled the holes in, and ratty is no more, he left of his own accord.

I didn't, and never considered killing it there are more human ways of moving them on.

Thanks everyone.

That's good Orangepip. Sounds like it was just a matter of removing Mr Rat and his fellow rat's (was it just one rat?) incentive to visit you.

I only ever saw one.

There was no need to kill It, I just as suggested, removed the food source and off he went.

On 13/06/2019 at 17:37, gaz 786 said:

We had them under decking down garden stopped feeding birds and they went overnight.. No food no rats simple 

Same here