Rat in the Garden

21 hours ago, Orangepip said:

I can't kill it, no matter how much I would rather not have it and want it to leave..

Get a cat. There you go sorted! :hihi:

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Once the food source disappears it should go away.  

If it's the section of canal in killamarsh that's still filled in and fished, the rats will come from there and return there, because there is ample food from discarded fishing bait. 

If it's the "empty" bit, theyre probably coming from elsewhere. Do you have bird feeders out?

EDIT - you've taken them down. 

Edited by tinfoilhat

On 10/05/2019 at 17:14, PRESLEY said:

Get a cat. There you go sorted! :hihi:

If you had our cats, they would grab it, bring it inside, and then release it unharmed. Everyone happy.

On 09/05/2019 at 19:06, Mossway said:

Get a trap. Either a conventional spring trap which looks like a very large mouse trap, or a cage trap.

If you buy a spring trap you must put it in a sort of tunnel so that pets and birds can’t  trigger the trap. If you buy a cage trap you’ll need a largish container of water to dunk the trap in and drown the rat.

Do not touch it with your bare hands. 

Bit sadistic. Surely cage traps exist for people who don want to kill unwanted visitors...

On 09/05/2019 at 19:06, Mossway said:

Get a trap. Either a conventional spring trap which looks like a very large mouse trap, or a cage trap.

If you buy a spring trap you must put it in a sort of tunnel so that pets and birds can’t  trigger the trap. If you buy a cage trap you’ll need a largish container of water to dunk the trap in and drown the rat.

Do not touch it with your bare hands. 

No. That would be illegal under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It is illegal to cause unnecessary suffering to animals. That includes drowning rats. 

33 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

No. That would be illegal under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It is illegal to cause unnecessary suffering to animals. That includes drowning rats. 

Only applies in the 2006 Act to ‘protected’ animals. If it were a pet rat you are probably correct, however the OP appeared to be referring to a wild rat and so not covered by the Act.

The humane treatment of life should have no regard to categories invented by humans

1 hour ago, Mossway said:

Only applies in the 2006 Act to ‘protected’ animals. If it were a pet rat you are probably correct, however the OP appeared to be referring to a wild rat and so not covered by the Act.

That is not true. The welfare of captured rodents is covered by the Act (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/notes/contents) As the Act states, the welfare offence (Section 9) applies to animals for which a person is “responsible” as that word is to be understood under section 3. Trapped rats are covered by this. 

54 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

The humane treatment of life should have no regard to categories invented by humans

Don't worry, it doesn't. The welfare part of the act applies to all animals, not just 'protected' animals. 

51 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That is not true. The welfare of captured rodents is covered by the Act (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/notes/contents) As the Act states, the welfare offence (Section 9) applies to animals for which a person is “responsible” as that word is to be understood under section 3. Trapped rats are covered by this. 

Don't worry, it doesn't. The welfare part of the act applies to all animals, not just 'protected' animals. 

That is good news. And suggests that Mossway could be accused of inciting or encouraging cruelty to rats, and  consequently be dealt with by using the full force of UK law!

I think you are construing the term ‘responsible’ far beyond the intentions of the Act - unless you have any case law to justify your statement ‘Trapped rats are covered by this’ .

Secondly Incitement only applies to Indictable Offences and the offences under this Act are Summary Only, so I won’t be fearing the knock at the door from plod !

40 minutes ago, Mossway said:

I think you are construing the term ‘responsible’ far beyond the intentions of the Act - unless you have any case law to justify your statement ‘Trapped rats are covered by this’ .

Secondly Incitement only applies to Indictable Offences and the offences under this Act are Summary Only, so I won’t be fearing the knock at the door from plod !

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/downloads/welfare-downloads/guidance-on-humane-control-of-rodents-feb2509v19.pdf

“This is in line also with the Rural Development Service’s (2006) advisory note on rat control which stated that: ‘Drowning is not a humane method of dispatch and could result in prosecution...’.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/187946/1-500-cruelty-fine-for-man-who-drowned-a-squirrel/amp

The RSPCA were quite clear. Killing an animal by drowning is a criminal offence. He was fined for this reason. It doesn’t matter if it’s a cat or a rat. Also, unlike brown rats, it’s also an office to release grey squirrels (or at least it was). There is no excuse for drowning rats, as it is not an offence to release then (unless they’re  black rats). 

Edited by Robin-H

9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/downloads/welfare-downloads/guidance-on-humane-control-of-rodents-feb2509v19.pdf

“This is in line also with the Rural Development Service’s (2006) advisory note on rat control which stated that: ‘Drowning is not a humane method of dispatch and could result in prosecution...’.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/187946/1-500-cruelty-fine-for-man-who-drowned-a-squirrel/amp

The RSPCA were quite clear. Killing an animal by drowning is a criminal offence. He was fined for this reason. It doesn’t matter if it’s a cat or a rat. Also, unlike brown rats, it’s also an office to release grey squirrels (or at least it was). There is no excuse for drowning rats, as it is not an offence to release then (unless they’re  black rats). 

I don't care what colour it is, I'm not going to kill it regardless of any method anyone suggests, and certainly not drowning.

The only problem its causing is digging holes in the garden. Otherwise its not bothering us.

Its not ideal having a rat/rats, and I've only seen one, but all bird food, and feeders have been removed so I'll see if it trots off to pastures new.