Rat in the Garden

For the last two weeks I've seen a rat in the garden.

Its dug a few holes, and every time I filled them in,  the next day its back.

I've only seen one  out in the day, but I'm pretty sure they don't live alone and maybe more at night.

I removed the bird feeder and food.

We live near the old canal at Killamarsh, so not sure if that's where its from.

I cant put poison down as we have pets, and I've tried the peppermint oil and garlic but it hasn't stopped it.

Any suggestions...sensible ones

If you live near the old canal I think you will always be likely to get rats.

Are they a problem? If they aren't getting in the house then what damage are they causing? Obviously you don't want to be infested with them but one or two won't hurt surely.

I have mice in my shed but no rats, too many cats and foxes for that.

Get a trap. Either a conventional spring trap which looks like a very large mouse trap, or a cage trap.

If you buy a spring trap you must put it in a sort of tunnel so that pets and birds can’t  trigger the trap. If you buy a cage trap you’ll need a largish container of water to dunk the trap in and drown the rat.

Do not touch it with your bare hands. 

15 minutes ago, taxman said:

If you live near the old canal I think you will always be likely to get rats.

Are they a problem? If they aren't getting in the house then what damage are they causing? Obviously you don't want to be infested with them but one or two won't hurt surely.

I have mice in my shed but no rats, too many cats and foxes for that.

No not a problem I  think it/they live under next doors decking.

I've been here a few years and first time I've ever seen one in the garden its quite brazen and just looks at me

Your collection of pets sounds like it does not include a cat or a Jack Russell.

I had one in my garden last year, didn't know of it till, I found it dead  under a tree, big bugger n 'all it was!, not seen one since,  thankfully! 

Edited by pintor

1 minute ago, Black Brick said:

Your collection of pets sounds like it does not include a cat or a Jack Russell.

No my jack russell died last year,  funnily enough I  never saw them when she was alive. But getting another isn't an option.

27 minutes ago, Mossway said:

Get a trap. Either a conventional spring trap which looks like a very large mouse trap, or a cage trap.

If you buy a spring trap you must put it in a sort of tunnel so that pets and birds can’t  trigger the trap. If you buy a cage trap you’ll need a largish container of water to dunk the trap in and drown the rat.

Do not touch it with your bare hands. 

Why?

If they kill one rat and they live near the old canal then another will be along soon. If it's doing no harm, why kill it?

I can't kill it, no matter how much I would rather not have it and want it to leave..

You could try an ultrasonic repeller. You’ll need a bit of dry weather and an electrical supply into your back garden to use it.

I’ve used them before in my cellar and they’ve got rid of mice and rats. I’m not sure how well they will work outdoors though.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You could try an ultrasonic repeller. You’ll need a bit of dry weather and an electrical supply into your back garden to use it.

I’ve used them before in my cellar and they’ve got rid of mice and rats. I’m not sure how well they will work outdoors though.

Thanks worth a try

Once the food source disappears it should go away.