There's lots of foxes in Gleadless Valley and Arbourthorne and some often wander around during the daytime.  I also saw  a badger once in Arbourthorne.  I think its great to see such lovely animals.

There’s been a pair of foxes on the suburban estate where I live for a number of years. Periodically the female turns up with carrying a cub in her mouth. They are both to be seen every evening at dusk as a lot of people put food out for them. They are both quite tame but are wary of the local cats, even sitting and waiting whilst the cats have first dibs at the food. We’ve also got a badger who strolls around in the early hours and they all seem to co-exist happily 

We too have loads in Lower Walkley, last year I walked out to my car and a large fox was sat bold as anything at the side of my car at 6:30am! They are always trotting up and down our street after dark, and playing on the grass opposite our house.  One year too we were sat on our decking late one warm evening, and a large badger just wandered up the passageway while we sat having a summer evening drink. Closest I've ever been to one that, just wandered off when it knew we were there.

On 09/05/2019 at 15:55, bendix said:

Probably a daft thing, but are foxes a particularly Sheffield thing, or limited to certain parts of Sheffield.  Before I moved here and I had never seen a fox in real life, but just last night I saw two - one crossing a busy London Road as i was driving home around 9.30pm and another wandering around Meadow Bank Avenue in Nether Edge.  I've heard a lot about foxes here - and there is a fox graffiti on a couple of walls around NE, so I wondered if they are a 'thing' in that part of town.

Do they pose much of a danger to cats.  I have a new one, and he's itching to go out and explore.

Ive had foxes living near me since the 90's and I've never encountered any problems with them. In fact, I've had nothing but positive experiences & I also have 5 cats.  Although it's entirely possible that foxes will occasionally kill cats (kittens, elderly or injured cats?), I imagine it's very rare that this happens and it's something I never seen.  But I have seen the odd confrontation, but nothing too serious. Foxes will generally try to avoid any conflicts with cats.

Although, foxes will be more protective of their territory & food during the breeding season and will hold their ground against cats. I monitor my garden with a couple of trail cameras and outside of the breeding season the local cats rule the gardens.

Some of my locals: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51732562@N04/albums/72157646010198439

It looks like one of the <removed> that had two of my chickens !

Edited by nikki-red

6 hours ago, taxman said:

Great photos 😃

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Mossway said:

It looks like one of the <removed> that had two of my chickens !

They're great at keeping the rat population down if that's any consolation.

Guest makapaka

Get some great foxes round our way - healthy looking things out on the prowl.

i love seeing wild animals about.

our Tom cat sits on our front wall every night and just watches them walking past - neither bother each other.

We have had foxes in our gardens for years.Only one neighbor took exception to them living under his shed.Most cubs ever seen was five,in the garden at the same time causing mayhem.They certainly feed on rats,i have seen all sorts of leftovers at the top of our garden in the morning.The one thing that puts me off is the smell that lingers ,especially when the weather hots up.Our cat is really aware of them,he seems to sense when they are about and comes running down to the house.Best view we had of a fox was a couple of weeks ago it came onto the patio and peered into our dining room while we were having breakfast.

2 hours ago, bothamlad said:

We have had foxes in our gardens for years.Only one neighbor took exception to them living under his shed.Most cubs ever seen was five,in the garden at the same time causing mayhem.They certainly feed on rats,i have seen all sorts of leftovers at the top of our garden in the morning.The one thing that puts me off is the smell that lingers ,especially when the weather hots up.Our cat is really aware of them,he seems to sense when they are about and comes running down to the house.Best view we had of a fox was a couple of weeks ago it came onto the patio and peered into our dining room while we were having breakfast.

Brilliant glad you have you have learned to live with nature not destroy it 

The only time I've seen a fox & cat together was one morning when, stood the back door, a fox hurtled past me followed by the cat out of hell!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Granma said:

The only time I've seen a fox & cat together was one morning when, stood the back door, a fox hurtled past me followed by the cat out of hell!!!!!!!

Were there killers on the bloodshot streets?

(Or were you just down in the tunnel with the deadly horizon?)