Donating classroom supplies

Just saw an article about a website in America where teachers can put up a wishlist for classroom supplies, and donors can pay to provide them.

Do we have anything like that in Sheffield?

Key bit from the article.

After an elementary schoolteacher in Phoenix posted her salary on Facebook in March last year amid a statewide protest for more education funding, she got a lot of calls from the news media, and a lot of hate mail, too.

But a few months later, the teacher, Elisabeth Milich, said she received what seemed to be an unbelievable offer from a stranger in New York City: He would pay for the snacks and supplies she and her husband had been buying for her students with their own money.

The American website is at https://sites.google.com/site/classroomgiving/home. It's a bit amateurish, but its heart is in the right place.

I don't know, but it's absolutely scandalous that we should need to.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

I don't know, but it's absolutely scandalous that we should need to.

Explain

24 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Explain

There isn’t much to explain really.

I can’t see a single reason why school funding should be so poor that the teachers have to beg for resources 

5 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

There isn’t much to explain really.

I can’t see a single reason why school funding should be so poor that the teachers have to beg for resources 

I disagree, the OP stated that the website was in the US and asked if there is anything similar in Sheffield, what are the children in this country going short of?

8 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

I disagree, the OP stated that the website was in the US and asked if there is anything similar in Sheffield, what are the children in this country going short of?

Teachers mostly. And Teaching Assistants. And Special Needs resources.

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Teachers mostly. And Teaching Assistants. And Special Needs resources.

Then I absolutely agree. If that's all.

Edited by Bash Street

The few teachers I know in the UK all have to buy stationery for their students, and art supplies, out of their own salary. I agree that it's sad and ought not be case, but would like to help if I can.

10 hours ago, Bash Street said:

I worked in a Primary School for nearly a decade, finishing last October. Never enough glue sticks and pencils were sometimes so scarce you'd have to 'borrow' them from another classroom.

Some teachers are the most wasteful employees I have ever seen. They think printing, laminating and electricity are all free and can be wasted as much as they want! That it the short version of a very long list. It's not all of them but as usual, the few waste enough for it to start having an impact on everyone. 

I did witness classroom "borrowing" many times, some if it was need, other times it was laziness or a case of a used up quota and wanting more. I always found it funny watching people deny their skulduggery,  when I knew different! Teachers can be very territorial when it comes to their class of children and do what's needed to get the job done. I have seen them dip into their own pocket many times. I've also seen people from buildings, IT and office staff do the same.

My point is, all staff in schools need to think about things more carefully. The school gets a yearly budget and if a large chunk of it gets spent on the electricity bills, it will have a knock on effect. At the same time, budgets for schools need a massive review but when you put profit and education in the same place, I see nothing but issues.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

I worked in a Primary School for nearly a decade, finishing last October. Never enough glue sticks and pencils were sometimes so scarce you'd have to 'borrow' them from another classroom.

Then that is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, zach said:

Some teachers are the most wasteful employees I have ever seen. They think printing, laminating and electricity are all free and can be wasted as much as they want! That it the short version of a very long list. It's not all of them but as usual, the few waste enough for it to start having an impact on everyone. 

I did witness classroom "borrowing" many times, some if it was need, other times it was laziness or a case of a used up quota and wanting more. I always found it funny watching people deny their skulduggery,  when I knew different! Teachers can be very territorial when it comes to their class of children and do what's needed to get the job done. I have seen them dip into their own pocket many times. I've also seen people from buildings, IT and office staff do the same.

You've hit the nail on the head there.  Paper waste in schools is absolutely shocking.  I'd see kids print their work, find a mistake, so just print it again, instead of proof reading on screen.

Gluesticks wasted because nobody could be bothered to put the lids back on them were a common one, I recall.

Expensive projector remotes lost and they just expected a new one with no consequence to themselves.