Wetherspoons, which is the best one?

3 hours ago, kaytie said:

Feel compelled to have another dab at this.   Cannot for the life of me understand why the Bankers Draft is so poorly regarded.    Been frequenting the upstairs area for over a year now and don't have a bad word to say about it.   Manager and staff could not be better   ...   always friendly, helpful and professional.     Food always hot and tasty.   Most pleasant ambiance.    O K sometimes there are weirdos hanging around the bottom of the entrance stairs, but never experienced any problems.    To the contrary have been harangued far more in what I used to regard as the " better part " of the city centre near the City Hall.

Well said its nowhere near as bad as people say its actually entertaining to people watch with some of the characters in their!

Funny story once ordered a burger and it was at the table before I got back from the bar (suspect microwave was involved)! Tasted ok though and a pint included for a quid!

On 25/06/2019 at 21:42, Fudbeer said:

Funny story once ordered a burger and it was at the table before I got back from the bar (suspect microwave was involved)! Tasted ok though and a pint included for a quid!

That happened with my Lamb Rogan Josh recently!   And it was delicious!

On 08/05/2019 at 16:12, Yorkshirelass said:

Which is the best Wetherspoon to visit in Sheffield?

I can feel a culture thread coming on.

On 25/06/2019 at 21:42, Fudbeer said:

Well said its nowhere near as bad as people say its actually entertaining to people watch with some of the characters in their!

That's why I'd never eat in such a place.  

9 hours ago, kaytie said:

That happened with my Lamb Rogan Josh recently!   And it was delicious!

Oh dear!  And you think it's good then that they can produce your meal before you get back to your seat?  😲   You prefer that to having to wait a little while for something made from fresh ingredients, that's not been filled with preservatives, previously frozen and re-heated in the microwave?  

Not for me I'm afraid.  I value my health too much.

Edited by DerbyTup

I had been chatting at the bar quite a while 🤣

I've got mixed feelings about all Wetherspoon's pubs - usually vast, soulless places, lacking in atmosphere and even though a lot of them are located in characterful. historic old buildings... like the Banker's Draft in town,  or the Rawson Springs in Hillsborough, they somehow seem to lack any sort of  "real" character. I can never go into the Rawson Springs without remembering that it used to be Hillsborough Baths, where I learned how to swim, as a small child  in the mid 60's!

Having said that, I must admit that I do genuinely admire and respect Wetherspoon's pubs. They are usually efficient and well run, with pleasant, friendly staff, a decent selection of drinks at much cheaper prices than most pubs - and a food menu which is not exactly "gourmet" standard, but which is good enough if you just want summat cheap and simple to eat and drink on a day out. They also do a menu for kids - which is nice too. 

I live and work in London - and Wetherspoon's pubs are just about the only places that people on normal wages can go out to eat and drink in these days!  I went for a walk around Epping Forest with a friend a couple of days ago and we called in a nice pub on the way back. A pint of normal bitter was £7 quid - and a burger and chips £12.50!!! Ridiculous! We had one half pint each, then left and went to a Wetherspoon's  down the road - where we got 2 meals and 2 pints for a tenner...not top quality, but at least acceptable and affordable!

Edited by FIRETHORN1

12 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I've got mixed feelings about all Wetherspoon's pubs - usually vast, soulless places, lacking in atmosphere and even though a lot of them are located in characterful. historic old buildings... like the Banker's Draft in town,  or the Rawson Springs in Hillsborough, they somehow seem to lack any sort of  "real" character. I can never go into the Rawson Springs without remembering that it used to be Hillsborough Baths, where I learned how to swim, as a small child  in the mid 60's!

Having said that, I must admit that I do genuinely admire and respect Wetherspoon's pubs. They are usually efficient and well run, with pleasant, friendly staff, a decent selection of drinks at much cheaper prices than most pubs - and a food menu which is not exactly "gourmet" standard, but which is good enough if you just want summat cheap and simple to eat and drink on a day out. They also do a menu for kids - which is nice too. 

I live and work in London - and Wetherspoon's pubs are just about the only places that people on normal wages can go out to eat and drink in these days!  I went for a walk around Epping Forest with a friend a couple of days ago and we called in a nice pub on the way back. A pint of normal bitter was £7 quid - and a burger and chips £12.50!!! Ridiculous! We had one half pint each, then left and went to a Wetherspoon's  down the road - where we got 2 meals and 2 pints for a tenner...not top quality, but at least acceptable and affordable!

Totally agree when visiting London always check out Spoons as its the only place you don't feel ripped off.