What outdoor games did you play when you were growing up

14 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Lol - think the only brakes we had on trolleys were shoe leather - pretty much the same when we went sledging only that was in our wellies.

Wellies ? Where did you grow up Dore and Totley 😊

32 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Probably Catcliffe like me, lol.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Playing cowboys and Indians in the street. Collecting sticky buds (Burdock plant) and chucking them at each other. Racing bicycles around the Mousehole track ( where the Rivelin fire station now is). Tying two front door knobs together then knocking on them (after dark).

49 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

A pit village near Donny until 12yo then Deepcar.

Edited by Longcol

Playing on the railway tracks.

Just now, taxman said:

Playing on the railway tracks.

We did that too occasionally - but never playing dare or anything mega stupid, but we did put copper coins on to the tracks so they'd get flattened. There was always a story told about a local lad who got his foot stuck when trying to retrieve a marble he'd dropped and lost a leg.

4 minutes ago, Halibut said:

We did that too occasionally - but never playing dare or anything mega stupid, but we did put copper coins on to the tracks so they'd get flattened. There was always a story told about a local lad who got his foot stuck when trying to retrieve a marble he'd dropped and lost a leg.

Yes, we put coins on the tracks then waited for a passing train to flatten it. We also had a den by the side of the tracks at the top of an embankment.

We used to cut bullrushes to make a raft and paddle it out into the lake(a flooded sand pit)which was very deep.

Fire bugs and firemen. On a bomb site separated from some allotments by wire fencing up which grass grew then died in the summer.

One group set light to the grass and the other group tried to put it out.

Usually the local residents managed to put it out before their fence caught alight.

Teams at each end of the bomb site throwing bricks at one another.

Pennies on the railway  track, 70000 Britannia class.

Liverpool street to East Anglia.

Thesedays we would would be called vandals but I am now a law abiding angel.

Some heathens would take some beer bottles from the back of the local off licence, go in and claim the returns money.

OMG it's making me laugh to remember!!

Edited by davyboy
addictionn

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I thought we , were the only kids to get the 2p ride to lodge moor for nesting and yes we were 9 or 10 at the time 👍

Used them for both round our way 😂 Also remember when building trolley the only thing my dad did was burn out the 2 holes in the crosspiece for the front axle. Did this with a red hot poker. No drills in them days.  He said he had to do it because it was to dangerous for us to do it , but didn't mind us 4 up and bombing down a hill at 30 mph , with only a wooden handbrake to save us😅😂

Mods please don't move this thread

. It needs to be read by as many people as possible 😊

Spear making and tying a sheath knife on the end for weight and a good point . Tied on with laces from me fathas work boots 

Nah us lot too ...or rivelin, get off the 95 at crookes down the steep hill and make our way to the terminus at lodge moor ...or stocksbridge around the dam ...10 -15 of us ....never any trouble ....hours of fun ..

Where I grew up in the north east we had a field behind our house which served as our football pitch.  The field was shared with some horses and sometimes a herd of young bullocks. Many a game was abandoned when they would stampede. At the far end of the field was a beck with a tarzan swing over it and where we'd catch sticklebacks. Our road was a round cul de sac which was good for bike racing. None of the houses had driveways and with not many cars we played kerby. Two people on opposite pavements aiming to hit the far kerb with a football. On hitting the kerb, if the ball hit the road before the thrower caught it scored 1 point, 2 points for a two handed catch and 3 for a one handed catch.

There was a small green at the end of the road which was our marbles pitch. Happy days.

Just been having a pint with me dad , told him about this thread and mentioned the hot poker trick. Asked him about the danger we encountered bombing downhill on an unsafe vehicle and he just smiled and said ,  well you were lads and that's what lads do . Good times 

Hopscotch,

orange and lemons-- the big girls had the whole lot of us playing it one playtime.

Skipping.

One potato, two potato, etc.

Cat's cradle.