What outdoor games did you play when you were growing up

The lads used to tie neighbours’ front doors together then knock on both doors and watch , from a safe distance, the struggle and both parties have to walk round from the back struggling to undo all the knots . There was a short lived cessation when the local Bobby observed all from the police box at the bottom of the street

On 08/05/2019 at 14:40, Longcol said:

Kick can, gatey (footie in the street using gates as goals), marbles, conkers, husky fusky, hide and seek, commando's, cricket, stretch (involved a sheath knife). Used to fly kites on the field at the back of our house.

Still have a scar on my right knee after a game of stretch  in the 60's  went badly wrong ! 

We also used to play a game that I think we just called 'Sticks'. Two pieces of chopped wood  (perhaps 8 inches or so long) would be propped up against a wall about 6 inches apart and a third piece balanced on top of them (like cricket bails) . One person would stand about 6 or 7 feet away and throw a tennis ball at the 'sticks' and try to scatter them. If that person wasn't successful then the next one would try and so on until someone managed it. This is where my memory becomes a little hazy but I think the idea was that the rest of the players had to try and replace the 'sticks' without being hit by the ball which the successful scatterer would then be  throwing at them. 

Maybe someone else has a clearer memory lol. This was in the 60's at High Green.

I'm glad someone mentioned "skipping".  

It was a game with a whole industry of rhymes behind it.  I remember it mainly being seen as a girl's thing when I was at junior school, but quite often the girls would shout to us boys to come and join in.  They'd usually have a length of washing line with one end tied to a drainpipe in the school playground - and they'd start whipping the thing around really fast.  The girls just used to wander with ease into the rapidly spinning rope with perfect timing and start to dance and weave whilst the rope got faster and faster.  There'd be the chanting of skipping rhymes - which were almost mesmeric in nature - and I remember one that finished with..."and O. U. T.  spells OUT" and at this point the person skipping would jump out from beneath the rope and a new person would enter.  

Us boys thought we were better at everything than girls, of course.  But the skipping games were a great leveller.  The times I've jumped into the skipping game and managed just a few revolutions of the rope until it came crashing down on my head and made my ears light up!  I think the girls quite liked inviting us boys to come and skip - most of us were pretty poor at it compared to them - and you can guarantee that if we were doing well at it - they'd speed the rope up and chant louder and louder until it caught us out! 

"I like coffee, I like tea, I like (name of person) to jump with me"  then that person would enter the ring.

"Down by the river, down by the sea,

Johnny broke a bottle and blamed it on me,

I told ma, ma told pa,

Johnny got a spanking, so ha, ha, ha" 

Then they'd ask, "How many spankings did Johnny get?"

And the counting would be begin - and the person in the ring would have to keep jumping as they counted, until they couldn't jump no more! 

It was cheap, inclusive, good for fitness, good for laughs, and something that gave us kids a lot of fun and enjoyment.

On 08/05/2019 at 15:04, Ontarian1981 said:

Outside?? Cheeky monkey,dead brazen.:nono:

I was the ambulance driver 

knock a door run , Tiggy off the ground , mabs ,conkers ,scotch arrows ,kick can 

Just now, mcleod said:

knock a door run ,

Knokker Bokker run, where I came from. :hihi:.

On 08/05/2019 at 22:24, Granma said:

Hopscotch,

orange and lemons-- the big girls had the whole lot of us playing it one playtime.

Skipping.

One potato, two potato, etc.

Cat's cradle.

-three potato four, five potato six potato seven potato more... can't remember any more, but  when playing at "hiddy" (hide and seek) the last one to get tapped with a clenched fist in the group circle would be "on" and the rest would disperse into back gardens, up entries etc whilst the one thats "on" counted to ten.

6 hours ago, carosio said:

-three potato four, five potato six potato seven potato more... can't remember any more, but  when playing at "hiddy" (hide and seek) the last one to get tapped with a clenched fist in the group circle would be "on" and the rest would disperse into back gardens, up entries etc whilst the one thats "on" counted to ten.

1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato 4, 5 potato, 6 potato 7 potato more

Skipping -   'Little Red Bumper Car'

British Bulldog

Tiggy bob down

Clapping rhythm 'a sailor went to sea sea sea, to see what he could see see see. But all that he could see see see was the bottom of the deep blue sea sea sea'

On 08/05/2019 at 15:59, hackey lad said:

I thought we , were the only kids to get the 2p ride to lodge moor for nesting and yes we were 9 or 10 at the time 👍

Used them for both round our way 😂 Also remember when building trolley the only thing my dad did was burn out the 2 holes in the crosspiece for the front axle. Did this with a red hot poker. No drills in them days.  He said he had to do it because it was to dangerous for us to do it , but didn't mind us 4 up and bombing down a hill at 30 mph , with only a wooden handbrake to save us😅😂

Mods please don't move this thread

. It needs to be read by as many people as possible 😊

Spear making and tying a sheath knife on the end for weight and a good point . Tied on with laces from me fathas work boots 

We all had knives in those days for carving wood ect never crossed our minds to use them as a weapon.How times have changed.

We played "finger thumb or a rusty bum" along with most of the others that have been mentioned.