Sheffield council reshuffle

On 14/05/2019 at 11:44, Planner1 said:

Would that be Manchester? They have significantly more funding, having won funding competitions and having devolved funding in place, which might help to explain their enthusiasm. 

SCC have grand plans for Dutch style infrastructure. Once the devolved funding is in place over here, they might have some money to spend on it. 

The lack of devolved funding and the failure to succeed in CCAG funding could easily fall as further valid criticism of SCC and the political administration. Yes GM has flagship schemes, but the amount of new infrastructure is irrelevant to the basic design of what is already in place. 

My borough has consulted cyclists in a cycling forum for over 20 years. As such, much infra is already in place at a reasonable standard, CCAG and mayoral funds are being used to fill missing links and resurface paths. But the ambition, the desire to build good, usable infrastructure has been there for ages. Yes people still complain and compromises crop up but the cycling officers generally succeed in getting designs implemented. Perhaps that's why they get funding where Sheffield fails.

The standard of current infrastructure in Sheffield has nothing to do with what funding they get now, or in future, it's a reflection on design practice and historic long term planning, for which fair criticism can be made of those who designed and built it.

23 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Not at all, it was quite clearly in reply to your post, where you claimed my post wasn't on topic.

So where did I mention being on topic then?

3 hours ago, biotechpete said:

The standard of current infrastructure in Sheffield has nothing to do with what funding they get now, or in future, it's a reflection on design practice and historic long term planning, for which fair criticism can be made of those who designed and built it.

I'd agree with you to some extent.

Some of it is about how much an authority is prepared to invest / fund the function.  Sheffield have historically had a very low  amount of revenue funding to support the transport planning function, so the service tends to be project oriented and not have resource / funding to develop  the underlying plans / policies and pipeline of potential schemes. 

The current government's reliance on short timescale competitive bidding funding pots like CCAG mean you have to have a pipeline of well developed, deliverable  projects in order to bid with any hope of success.

Some of it is also about explicitly requiring walking  / cycling infrastructure to be included in bigger projects like public transport corridors.  Manchester were / are well ahead on initiatives like this, but, in fairness, they are better resourced,  which is easier when you have more money  (because you 're bigger) 

Manchester's Chief Executive Joanne Roney was in charge of housing, pre Sheffield Homes, here.  I always got the impression she was forward thinking.   I see MCC social housing, whilst still owned by the council, is managed by independent organisations.  

Edited by Ms Macbeth

54 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Manchester's Chief Executive Joanne Roney was in charge of housing, pre Sheffield Homes, here.  I always got the impression she was forward thinking.   I see MCC social housing, whilst still owned by the council, is managed by independent organisations.  

Hmmm... :huh:

... and that is obviously the problem.

All the 'forward thinking' have long left Sheffield to find new jobs where their efforts are appreciated, while we're left with the dregs who'd rather spend time on social media trying to justify their inadequacies by blaming others rather than rolling their sleeves up and getting things done! :roll:

On 16/05/2019 at 12:46, Planner1 said:

So where did I mention being on topic then?

Sorry, you said 

Which has got nothing to do with implementing significant new infrastructure. 

But it clearly did have something to do with the way the scarce resources are actually spent and the priorities of the council.

On 15/05/2019 at 12:56, Cyclone said:

Not at all, it was quite clearly in reply to your post, where you claimed my post wasn't on topic, but it obviously was as it was a demonstration of a waste of some of their budget.

Replace "wasn't on topic" with "was nothing to do with (this topic)"...

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Sorry, you said 

But it clearly did have something to do with the way the scarce resources are actually spent and the priorities of the council.

Replace "wasn't on topic" with "was nothing to do with (this topic)"...

You can’t change what you’ve said.........

11 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I also see that central government funding per region for the North West is over £800 per person more than for Yorkshire & Humberside.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

Care to multiply the population of Sheffield by £800?

PS - social housing includes RSL's (Housing Associations) - their housing isn't owned by the council.

Edited by Longcol

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

I also see that central government funding per region for the North West is over £800 per person more than for Yorkshire & Humberside.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

Care to multiply the population of Sheffield by £800?

PS - social housing includes RSL's (Housing Associations) - their housing isn't owned by the council.

Perhaps Manchester promoting itself as the centre of the Northern Powerhouse has increased the funding?   What does Yorks & Humberside need to do to achieve that level of funding?

PS - I know that social housing includes RSLs, I'm a retired housing worker.  I wouldn't have suggested MCC housing was still council owned without checking the facts. Link below.

Concentrating on core business makes sense IMO.  I believe as far as housing is concerned, SCC took a step backwards  when it was taken back in house.

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/84/rehousing_and_finding_a_home/6270/council_housing

Edited by Ms Macbeth

7 hours ago, makapaka said:

You can’t change what you’ve said.........

No, I'm not trying to.  Importantly neither can Planner1, and what he said "was nothing to do with" is equivalent to my paraphrasing "wasn't on topic".

Edited by Cyclone