Sheffield council reshuffle

11 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The Council do have pool bikes (conventional and electric)  for staff to use and staff who use their own get a mileage allowance.

👍

19 hours ago, Longcol said:

Can't get much shopping or many kids in an ebike.

Ok, you’ve talked me into getting one.

On 11/05/2019 at 22:09, Longcol said:

Can't get much shopping or many kids in an ebike.

go to the Netherlands, watch while 3 kids pile into the front of a family cargo bike, with a load of shopping.

I am a regular pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyslist, car driver and , ex dog walker and wheelchair pusher so have  the understanding you get from experience, something i think many opinionists are without. I always said pushing the mother in law around  in the chair you don't realise how difficult managing to get past cars selfishly parked on the footpath and other such objects can be, it changed my attitude, nothing beats hands on experience.

The same goes for riding a bicycle in traffic, infrastructure is by far the biggest problem, hills you can get of and push it up, at least with them for every uphill there's a downhill.

The sharing of footpaths has to be one of the worst things any council has done, it is just lip service to "we at sheffield council are green really and consider the requirement for people to travel without the use of polluting motor car", its utter rubbish.

There are so many places proper "hard shoulder" aside of the road could be laid,  outside barrack tavern - the council go to the trouble of curbing and flagging the section and stick cyclist on the path to fight it out with dog walking, push chair and wheel chair pushing pedestrians as well as cyclist in the opposite direction- its stupid  😠

The whole penistone road section with its hundreds of traffic lights makes my urine boil, its a section that being so flat would be ideal cycle route for many people to get into town (and back presumably).

I hope if the development on the wadsley bridge wastelands goes ahead a proper cycle path is put down there, cost would be negligible if incorperated into the rest of the development,  just needs a  council planner that that has at least a slight amount of competence.

I know some one who goes to work in town everyday and most days comes home ready to beat some one to death, riled by near misses with cars, you have to be dedicated to accept that, or selfishly ride on the footpaths all the time,

I would like to see the stats on how many people have been fined for riding a cycle on the footpath in sheffield.

3 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

The whole penistone road section with its hundreds of traffic lights makes my urine boil, its a section that being so flat would be ideal cycle route for many people to get into town (and back presumably).

Penistone Rd isn't the problem though, is it? You're conveniently forgetting the big hills at both ends of it and to both sides of it, which these potential cyclists have to get up and down. That's what puts most people off cycling in Sheffield. 

There's already an off road cycle lane on Penistone Rd, yes, other road users  go on it sometimes, but it's pretty easy to use.

I would like to see the stats on how many people have been fined for riding a cycle on the footpath in sheffield.

If you're really interested, why not send in a request for the stats instead of posting it on here?

I hope if the development on the wadsley bridge wastelands goes ahead a proper cycle path is put down there, cost would be negligible if incorperated into the rest of the development,  just needs a  council planner that that has at least a slight amount of competence.

And here's another one of the problems, everyone who uses the road thinks they are a better transport planner or highway engineer than the people who are doing it for a living. If you truly understood the difficulties and constraints involved, you might not be so critical.

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

it's pretty easy to use.

It's one of the worst cycle lanes ever made anywhere ever. 

The constant level changes.

The crossings where you have to dash across busy junctions between phases - even though you can't see any of the lights.

It doesn't go from anywhere, to anywhere.

It disappears in the middle.

Using it slows you down significantly (Vs the road).

Etc.

Worst of all, it's held up as an example of of a proper cycle route. 

It's bloody awful.

9 hours ago, ads36 said:

It's one of the worst cycle lanes ever made anywhere ever. 

Nothing like a bit of blatant over-exaggeration to help your argument is there?

Nothing like trying to ignore the long list of problems in favour of claiming "you're exaggerating, it's not ACTUALLY the WORST CYCLE LANE IN THE WORLD"...

15 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Penistone Rd isn't the problem though, is it? You're conveniently forgetting the big hills at both ends of it and to both sides of it, which these potential cyclists have to get up and down. That's what puts most people off cycling in Sheffield. 

You'll have the evidence to support this of course?

On 07/05/2019 at 23:50, Top Cats Hat said:

Not at all. Environmentalists have always said that concern for the environment should be prioritised above all issues and this idea has been gaining more and more support in recent years so yes, the voters of Sheffield are interested.

This is also something that the Council can actually do something about on a local level. It can't stop global warming but it can improve the health of Sheffield's children by controlling emissions in town either by moving over to greener council vehicles or reducing traffic levels and banning certain vehicles from the town centre. It can also encourage cycling by creating and improving cycle lanes and secure parking as well as reducing car use by encouraging public transport.  

Good on 'em! 👍

Indeed, it CAN do something about those things, but the question is will it actually do anything. Everything that comes after that sentence involves restructuring or overturning the council's own previous actions. Why would they do that, when they're still doing them...?

Based on the council's previous, I would suggest it will talk a lot, talk some more, and do absolutely nothing material about the issue.

17 hours ago, Planner1 said:

If you're really interested, why not send in a request for the stats instead of posting it on here?

And here's another one of the problems, everyone who uses the road thinks they are a better transport planner or highway engineer than the people who are doing it for a living. If you truly understood the difficulties and constraints involved, you might not be so critical.

Having spent some time with officers and planners on the other side of the pennines, looking  with enthusiasm at the ways to implement equivalent standards to the London cycle design standards, I feel criticism of Sheffield's efforts justified.

2 hours ago, biotechpete said:

Having spent some time with officers and planners on the other side of the pennines, looking  with enthusiasm at the ways to implement equivalent standards to the London cycle design standards, I feel criticism of Sheffield's efforts justified.

Would that be Manchester? They have significantly more funding, having won funding competitions and having devolved funding in place, which might help to explain their enthusiasm. 

SCC have grand plans for Dutch style infrastructure. Once the devolved funding is in place over here, they might have some money to spend on it. 

Edited by Planner1