Looking for Kath McGivern

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hoping some of you may be able to help me. My mother left our home in Ireland in the early 70's to start a new life in Sheffield .She never returned and cut herself off from all her family.In January of this year she passed away and we know very little about her life in the 45 years since she left. We know she lived in Gleadless and then Lister avenue and she worked in various jobs probably cooking. We think she may have run her own catering business at some point. It would be great if we could find someone who may of known her and could fill in a few blanks for us. Her name was Kath Mc Givern and any help if possible would be greatly appreciated.  

192.com has a kathleen mcgovern in sheffield S12 2002-2019.

You may  have to buy credits get the full details

Thank you I'll check it out . Hopefully it might give us some more  information.

Google British Phone Book.Com.  Enter your mother's surname and Sheffield as the location. This might provide information of interest.

Hi Denise

I worked with your mother for around 12 years at prior bank care home,I was her chef manager and had a pleasure to know her away from work as well,sad to hear that Kath pass away,when she left prior bank I called her but she never return the calls,I got few picture of Kath from my wedding,all the best,

Steve thank you so much for replying. Im delighted to hear this. We know very little about her time in Sheffield. I would love to see the pictures if possible or hear anything about her time in Sheffield . 

On 07/05/2019 at 00:14, Denise47 said:

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hoping some of you may be able to help me. My mother left our home in Ireland in the early 70's to start a new life in Sheffield .She never returned and cut herself off from all her family.In January of this year she passed away and we know very little about her life in the 45 years since she left. We know she lived in Gleadless and then Lister avenue and she worked in various jobs probably cooking. We think she may have run her own catering business at some point. It would be great if we could find someone who may of known her and could fill in a few blanks for us. Her name was Kath Mc Givern and any help if possible would be greatly appreciated.  

Hi Denise, below is Kathleen's entry from the Electoral Roll.

First name(s) Kathleen P
Last name McGivern
Year 2002-19
Street Lister Avenue
Town Sheffield
County South Yorkshire
Country England
Postcode S12 3FN
Age guide -
Address 19, Lister Avenue, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S12 3FN
District Sheffield
Occupancy (years) 24
Electoral rolls 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Just to follow it up....I've had quite a bit of success tracing my own family over the years...my advice would be to write to the immediate neighbours with a SAE enclosed, just ask them if they remember her and what they know.

19 Lister Avenue looks on Google Street maps like it's part of  a block of two storey flats, what we would call Social housing..it's possible, being in close proximity  the neighbours might have known her well. 

The other avenue to try is Sheffield Council or whoever runs their social housing account, they might be able to tell you who handled Kathleen's affairs ( although Data Protection might be an obstacle) and perhaps order a copy death certificate, they used to tell you who reported the death, that might be useful .

5 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

19 Lister Avenue looks on Google Street maps like it's part of  a block of two storey flats, what we would call Social housing..it's possible, being in close proximity  the neighbours might have known her well. 

Part of the Base Green council estate.

Thank you. We have been in touch with the council and other agencies. We found out very little however about her life in Sheffield. It seems she kept quite to herself where neighbours were concerned. We know she worked throughout her time in Sheffield in various jobs and I posted here hoping a colleague or someone she was friendly with may have  made contact to help us fill in the blanks. We know she worked in a care home and a place called the interchange at some point.