Bank card fiasco.

I love card payment, but be aware.   Some time ago I paid for two glasses of wine in the Lyceum bar.   Contactless apparently refused and required input of PIN (as happens from time to time as a security check).   However, on this occasion when my statement arrived, I noticed I'd paid for the drinks twice!    Phoned HSBC call centre,  who were great and sorted a refund with no hassle.    Just goes to show though that you need to check.   What went wrong I know not, except that this happened at a production of Shakespeare's  "Scottish Play" and I reckon somebody uttered the M word in the theatre! 😊

My beef wasn't so much about possible scams,    it just seems ridiculous that we have to have a bank card ( not everybody does, believe it or not ez8004 ) to nip to the loo.          The bunch of lasses obviously didn't,   & I have my doubts about the little old guy heading there from the beach.

The way things are going,  we'll soon have to carry one at all times,   even if we're only going down the garden to peg the washing out!

I use technology when I need it & can understand it,    but I'm not going to be ruled by it.

So there.

8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I had an incident a few weeks ago where a card payment was incorrect. I was charged £28 for a £4 transaction. Partly my fault, because I tapped without checking the display I was a bit complacent because it was a small transaction. The problem was sorted fairly easily because it was a reputable local company and I could easily evidence the mistake.

I only noticed because I check my account daily. I'm guessing that I'm quite unusual in that respect. I do like contactless payments, but they do require vigilance from the account holder.

And that was a combination of two humans making mistakes right.

A fixed fee of 20p with no human input can't go wrong in the same way can it.

15 hours ago, lovelace said:

My beef wasn't so much about possible scams,    it just seems ridiculous that we have to have a bank card ( not everybody does, believe it or not ez8004 ) to nip to the loo.          The bunch of lasses obviously didn't,   & I have my doubts about the little old guy heading there from the beach.

The way things are going,  we'll soon have to carry one at all times,   even if we're only going down the garden to peg the washing out!

I use technology when I need it & can understand it,    but I'm not going to be ruled by it.

So there.

Is this possibly ID cards by the back door? The police will be able to spot those without ID simply by watching people squirm when passing fountains as they have no way to pay for a toilet visit.

What happens if children want to use the toilets ?

Children who are old enough to visit the toilet on their own but not old enough for a card.

15 hours ago, lovelace said:

So there.

I am afraid you will be ruled by it. The number of free cash machines disappearing just keeps accelerating. Most people have a bank account since the vast majority of people have their salaries paid into one. Having a bank card is not onerous at all. If you don't want to carry a physical bank card, you could always use your phone for contactless payments. 

You'll get left behind and don't expect anyone to bend over backwards for you if you're in the minority. 

It can't be economical for the council to collect such a piddling amount.

Pun intended

Edited by davyboy

If I'm going to be charged for the toilet (which I don't actually mind if they're well kept and clean), I'd MUCH rather it was a card payment. I always have my card, but practically never have any coins. Less fiddly to wave a card than put coins in to a machine that'll spit them back out half the time as well!

If you worry about the effects of a cashless society, you can sign the Consumer Association's Freedom To Pay petition.

I’m not completely averse to card payments but I do find that I’m more aware of my spending if I pay using cash. Somehow handing over cash feels more significant that paying by card, especially contactless so my preference is to pay with cash for day to day spending but I’ll generally use a card for large purchases (and for small ones if paying cash isn’t an option).  

Was reading an article about Norway where less than 10% of transactions are cash and they reckon it could disappear in a decade.Like it or not cashless society is coming!

All this palava will encourage people to say sod this and take risk of getting fines ect especially people with certain medical conditions who cant hold  then theres the youngens/teenagers  infact pointless mentioning them because they  just do what ever when ever.  :hihi: