Bank card fiasco.

Anybody else come across this?              I went to the fleshpots of Cleethorpes recently,  & to use the public toilets you have to put  your bank card in the machine,   there's no cash accepted.           Luckily I'd been forewarned so I had my debit card ready,   but others hadn't.         I tried to hold the gates open for a group of girls behind me but it was impossible.

It's bad enough trying to find public toilets these days without the prospect of getting "caught short" when you do find one.           I've seen my bank statement & sure enough it's taken 20 pence,  but what if there was a glitch & it took twenty quid,  who would you tackle about it,   & when?

What a swizz,   I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Doesn't that same argument apply to using your card to pay for anything "what if it took the wrong amount"...  Why would it, how could it?  Machines don't suddenly insert 2 extra zero's just for a few transactions.

I don't like the idea of paying to use the public toilets, but I don't see why debit card is a problem.

Just now, Cyclone said:

Doesn't that same argument apply to using your card to pay for anything "what if it took the wrong amount"...  Why would it, how could it?  Machines don't suddenly insert 2 extra zero's just for a few transactions.

I don't like the idea of paying to use the public toilets, but I don't see why debit card is a problem.

I was just about to say the same thing. 

It’s a pointless post. The topic should have been something along the lines of “are we ready for a cashless society?”

Edited by zach

We were in Cleethorpes last week and noticed that all the public toilets there are the same now,card payment only.The one on the train station

is free but you have to have a train ticket to use it.

Cashless society?.....major losers will be the local charities , every time I go to the bar I always put the non silver change into the collecting box, and so do most people around here.

(don t know whether Sheffielders do the same, these days)..... but with everyone using cards the charities will get nowt! 

I am qualified to say nowt , pronounced note , because I was born in Crookes, and lived at Woodseats  ‘til age 30.

regards to everyone still there ....

I’d prefer it to be a cad payment. I always have my bank card but not always cash, let alone 20p coins.

I hope we never move to being cashless. I use my card but withdraw cash to have on hand for smaller purchases. Years ago as a singer parent on a limited income I took to keeping a running total of my bank balance by deducting all card payments/withdrawals and direct debits so I didn’t go overdrawn. Even though I’m in a better financial position and have internet banking I still do this as I think it’s easy to lose track of spending when you just tap a card. Whilst I have never used my overdraft my kids, who rarely carry cash and laugh at my bookkeeping, often have too much month left at the end of their money

It's possibly easier to track cashless spending, if you use something like revolut bank ... and smartphone app, which breaks down your spending to categories. So you can see where your money goes each month.

And with open banking you can do something similar with any bank now.  I can check my balance immediately on my phone using the HSBC app, or money dashboard which does the whole breakdown into categories and also has a projection for each month of what each category will require.

On 06/05/2019 at 09:31, lovelace said:

I've seen my bank statement & sure enough it's taken 20 pence,  but what if there was a glitch & it took twenty quid,  who would you tackle about it,   & when?

What a swizz,   I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I fully understand your concerns, especially with all the frauds and scams that we hear of.  Better to be aware than throw caution to the wind.

In the event of being scammed  via a card, doesn`t the bank still investigate it, even though it is a debit card trasnsaction.

On 06/05/2019 at 09:37, Cyclone said:

I had an incident a few weeks ago where a card payment was incorrect. I was charged £28 for a £4 transaction. Partly my fault, because I tapped without checking the display I was a bit complacent because it was a small transaction. The problem was sorted fairly easily because it was a reputable local company and I could easily evidence the mistake.

I only noticed because I check my account daily. I'm guessing that I'm quite unusual in that respect. I do like contactless payments, but they do require vigilance from the account holder.