Caster Semenya. Are the Sports' Bodies Right?

Caster Semenya.  Are the Sports' Bodies Right? 

Of course they aren't & shame on Lord Sebastian Coe, (President of the  International Association of Athletics Federations)  for throwing his weight behind them. 

We have international sports bodies continually trying to catch athletes taking drugs, now we have them telling a woman that she has to take them to lower her natural testosterone levels?

Having done all the physical test that prove that Semenya IS a woman, accept what she is, a talented athlete but with higher than normal testosterone levels due to her natural physiology who will be beaten one day. 

At no point was Carl Lewis told to take anything years ago to slow him down when he was winning everything left, right & centre. 

I reckon if she looked more feminine the issue might not have arisen?  She'd be just classed as a strong inspirational  woman? 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Should it be acceptable for other competitors to increase their testosterone levels to match those of Semenya?

Well then I'd say that's drug enhancement isn't it? 

Listened to a report the other day where Caster's parents said they had decided to bring their child up as a female. Could this mean that Caster was at birth an hermaphrodite. Would this account for the male levels of testosterone in her body. To be blunt, she looks like a man, has the physical attributes of a man and indeed runs like a man. She is stuffed whatever she decides to do.

Angel1.

It would appear that externally, as a child, she appeared to be female.  However external sex organs are not the only genetic identifier, in some cases there is just an assumption that a child is female.  Chromosomes and the production by the body of different hormones play  their part.

There is a view is that no female xx athlete can compete with the xy chromosomes of individuals like Semenya.  Just as the best females can't compete with the best men, hence there are separate events.   

Unless I have read some fake news Semenya has testicles and has made her wife pregnant. I understand about hermaphrodites, about mosaic chromosomes,  how hormone levels in foetal life or lack of responsive to hormones can cause abnormalities but we have to draw the line somewhere.  You have to set a boundary for the definition of male and female for such competitions. To my mind the definition should be set as genotype, phenotype and hormone levels. If  all these criteria aren't met then she should compete with the men.  

Maybe the testosterone levels of all competing athletes should be checked and the Athletic Federation devise some form of handicapping!

On 05/05/2019 at 10:14, zaci said:

Maybe the testosterone levels of all competing athletes should be checked and the Athletic Federation devise some form of handicapping!

That formed the basis of a Paul Merton joke.

"I'm competing in the 100 metres final on a motorbike.

Him? Oh that's my next door neighbour in the sidecar.

He wants a gold medal too"

But seriously, either benefit or accident of birth shouldn't be artificially constrained.

Female only competitions are specifically designed to artificially constrain people based on an accident of birth. 

On 20/05/2019 at 13:07, Femi said:

Why not just get rid of women only sport and have everyone competing together?

Maybe because there is money to be made from it?

On 05/05/2019 at 10:14, zaci said:

They are, you don't think they have singled out this one athlete do you??

On 20/05/2019 at 13:07, Femi said:

Why not just get rid of women only sport and have everyone competing together?

Thats a stupid idea , the men will have an obvious physical advantage in many track and field events.

Are you even aware of the relative records for track events such as the 100, 200 and 800 meter races?

The current wold record time for womens 100m would not even be fast enough to qualify for the final (mens) race at the last Olympic games.

Edited by geared

Am I missing something? Or is just identifying as a female is enough for any male to compete in womens track and field?...