Places to live as we age?

We don't have any family locally. We're currently working and in good health, but wondering about options as we get older. With luck we can stay where we are, which we would love, but  aging is a bit of a lottery.

If we turn out no longer to be able to walk up stairs, or need a bit of help here and there, what are out options? Bungalow? Retirement community? Dignitas?

In the States, there are retirement communities where you can start off living completely on your own, but you can opt into increased services if needed as you get older, starting with a bit of help carrying in groceries, and continuing through nursing. Is there anything like that in Sheffield?

We'd probably have to pay for it ourselves, so are looking for that sort of option.

Anyone on here dealt with this sort of thing for themselves or their families?

they do a great oap/disabled flat complex by scc ,i think you can buy at jordanthorpe and there are many caravan older people sites

so there are many choices,bu.t most depend on cash basis

1 hour ago, Dozer said:
We don't have any family locally. We're currently working and in good health, but wondering about options as we get older. With luck we can stay where we are, which we would love, but  aging is a bit of a lottery.

If we turn out no longer to be able to walk up stairs, or need a bit of help here and there, what are out options? Bungalow? Retirement community? Dignitas?

In the States, there are retirement communities where you can start off living completely on your own, but you can opt into increased services if needed as you get older, starting with a bit of help carrying in groceries, and continuing through nursing. Is there anything like that in Sheffield?

We'd probably have to pay for it ourselves, so are looking for that sort of option.

1 hour ago, Dozer said:

Dignitas? seriously? The amount you pay will depend on location, facilities and needs.

Location is obviously your choice.

Facilities are your choice even within a unit.

If you need a bit of help then why not pay someone to do it at £10 an hour private arrangement at you home, £20  and up for a company.

A home to retire to, just means renting or buying a managed or leasehold house or flat around £10 000+ a year.

Sheltered accommodation is usually a more basic or smaller and might trigger a little bit of government help. Cost more as would

Residential homes

Residential Care homes between £500 a week and £1200 might trigger a little bit of government help .

Nursing homes between £800 and £1500 a week and unlikely to be offered unless a Continuing Health Care plan

To get any real money from the Government you have to have at least two very serious problems e.g . Blind + Dementia

Selling your home ahead of when you need to saves on inheritance and what the government can take away from you.

Creating a trust can enable a surviving partner or children protecting  up to 50% of their inheritance.

Good idea to plan early.

At this stage do the work yourself, independent advice is not always impartial except for a  solicitor and setting up a Trust advice.

Quote Dozer: 

With luck we can stay where we are, which we would love, but  aging is a bit of a lottery.

You are right - ageing is a bit of a lottery. One thing is for sure - we are not going to get stronger. That’s why I can never understand these older folk who go on television wanting to move out into the sticks with a big house and land.

IMHO location is key. Being near to a bus route, shops, doctors surgery and preferably on level ground is really helpful. Houses can be adapted to make life easier as you age eg downstairs toilet/shower. A bungalow or flat could be worth thinking about. Some designated retirement flats can be very expensive and maintenance charges might be payable. Possibly this type of complex is suitable for those of a sociable nature.

It’s a good idea to have savings put by in order to employ people to do jobs that you cannot do yourself - makes life a lot more comfortable. 

As you like your home, why not stay put and gradually work towards age-proofing it?

Edited by Jomie

There is a retirement village at Woodhouse called Brunswick Gardens. 

2 minutes ago, SALLY18 said:

There is a retirement village at Woodhouse called Brunswick Gardens. 

And very nice it is too, I thought it had quite the community feel to it as well when i visited some time ago. Don't know prices and the flats aren't huge though.

That said, mother is under the weather and a bit immobile in her 3 bed semi. I wish she was in one of those sort of places for my own piece of mind! 

Dozer - forgot to say that some time ago there was a Radio 4 Money Box programme that looked at this very issue. IIRC they presented some research about the best time to move house in old age. I think it was before the age of 64 or thereabouts. After that, elderly people can find moving too difficult to cope with.  

If you do move house, check the quality and availability of the local medical and social services. I have an elderly friend who moved to a nice seaside town and likes living there. However, both of them now have health issues, one of them quite serious. The services have proved to be quite poor and they have had real problems getting help. Don’t know why but perhaps many such places have a high elderly population who do not have family close by. 

What about residential park homes? Usually all on one level and in nice surroundings with plenty of facilities.

Even a hotel can work out cheaper than a residential care home. I've often seen uniformed care assistants going in and out, so some must take residential guests.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

What about residential park homes? Usually all on one level and in nice surroundings with plenty of facilities.

Even a hotel can work out cheaper than a residential care home. I've often seen uniformed care assistants going in and out, so some must take residential guests.

Residential Park Homes: Cold in the winter, over warm in the summer, expensive to fuel as they cool down very quickly. Lose value very quickly and you always have the 'elephant in the room', the site owners. Got the T Shirt, done it and had my fingers burnt ... don't go anywhere near residential park homes would be my advice.

You can buy a  new flat on a retirement estate built for over 60s  age  residents .

But often the second hand  flats sell at  a loss, due to exit fees  and the  annual service charge being too high.

Its better to stay where you are now and add a ground floor extension  ( bedroom )  and  subscribe to a personal alarm..

Edited by topflat29
add personal alarm

An old funny email I was sent some years ago sums it all up -  

NO  NURSING HOME FOR ME!!!

No nursing home for us.  We'll be checking into a Holiday Inn!  With the average cost for a nursing home care costing £188.00 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.  I've already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn.

For a combined long-term stay discount and senior discount, it's £59.23 per night. Breakfast is included, and some have happy hours in the afternoon.

That leaves £128.77 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities and special TV  movies.

Plus, they provide a spa, swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge and washer-dryer,  etc.

Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.
 £5 worth of tips a day and you'll have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

They treat you like a customer, not a  patient.

There's a bus stop out front, and seniors ride free.

For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there.

While you're at the airport, fly somewhere.  Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.

It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today.

And you're not stuck in one place forever -you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city.

Want to see Scotland?  They have Holiday Inn there too.

TV broken?  Light bulbs need changing?  Need a mattress replaced?  No problem. They fix everything, and apologize for the  inconvenience.

The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are ok.  If not, they'll call an ambulance. . .or the  undertaker.

If you fall and break a hip, NHS will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation.

The grand-kids can use the pool.
What more could I ask for?

So, when I reach that golden age, I'll face it with a grin.

AIDS  WARNING!

To all of you  approaching 50 or have REACHED 50 and past, this  is especially for  you......

SENIOR CITIZENS    
ARE THE NATION'S LEADING  CARRIERS OF AIDS!

HEARING   AIDS 

BAND AIDS 

ROLL AIDS 

WALKING AIDS  

MEDICAL AIDS 

GOVERNMENT AIDS 

MOST OF ALL,

MONETARY AID TO THEIR KIDS!

Not forgetting HIV
(Hair is Vanishing)

I'm only sending this to my  'old' friends.
I  love to see you smile.

Edited by gene

1 hour ago, gene said:

An old funny email I was sent some years ago sums it all up -  

NO  NURSING HOME FOR ME!!!

What was described was similar to sheltered housing - not nursing care.