Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

18 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

I think their main aim is to be elected and become a disruptive influence within the workings of the EU. 

Even if they hooked up with other populist and far right parties they don't have the numbers.

I also read somewhere that any MEP who acts to actively undermine the European Parliament can be sanctioned, including witholding their salary and expenses.

30 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Even if they hooked up with other populist and far right parties they don't have the numbers.

I also read somewhere that any MEP who acts to actively undermine the European Parliament can be sanctioned, including witholding their salary and expenses.

But if voting predictions are accurate, they can form an effective bloc within the EU parliament.

25 seats on current projections, IIRC?

They can form a few useful alliances with that number.

I think this is also becoming a question of democracy, if politicians think its ok to frustrate a democratic decision which they all agreed would be implemented ( once in a lifetime vote etc.) ordinary people like myself will think whats the point in voting

17 minutes ago, hgdave said:

I think this is also becoming a question of democracy, if politicians think its ok to frustrate a democratic decision which they all agreed would be implemented ( once in a lifetime vote etc.) ordinary people like myself will think whats the point in voting

Who is frustrating it? 

1 hour ago, ez8004 said:

I think their main aim is to be elected and become a disruptive influence within the workings of the EU. 

Which suggests they, as democratically elected representatives, can influence things in the EU which they claim is undemocratic and corrupt.

You could not make it up.

18 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who is frustrating it? 

Mainly the MPs that want to remain 

Just now, hackey lad said:

Mainly the MPs that want to remain 

Like, Jacob Reees-Mogg, David Davis, Mark Francois, Boris Johnson, Kate Hoey, Steve Baker, Bernard Jenkin, Andrew Bridgen?

I thought that they were all mad keen leave supporters? They have all repeatedly voted against May's deal! So let me get this right. If you are a Remainer and vote against May's deal you are frustrating Brexit. If you are a Leave supporter and vote against May's deal you are standing up for democracy.

No wonder leave supporters are viewed as complete idiots!

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So why are the Brexit Party and UKIP standing?

The standard monthly payment for all MEPs is 7,957 euros (£6,537). It is roughly on a par with a British MP's salary, but when the pound is weak, MEPs earn more than MPs. MEPs also get a flat-rate monthly allowance of 4,299 euros to cover office expenses, such as office rent, phone bills and computer equipment.

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The standard monthly payment for all MEPs is 7,957 euros (£6,537). It is roughly on a par with a British MP's salary, but when the pound is weak, MEPs earn more than MPs. MEPs also get a flat-rate monthly allowance of 4,299 euros to cover office expenses, such as office rent, phone bills and computer equipment.

But how many £millions is it going to cost to get these 20-odd MEPs elected?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Like, Jacob Reees-Mogg, David Davis, Mark Francois, Boris Johnson, Kate Hoey, Steve Baker, Bernard Jenkin, Andrew Bridgen?

I thought that they were all mad keen leave supporters? They have all repeatedly voted against May's deal! So let me get this right. If you are a Remainer and vote against May's deal you are frustrating Brexit. If you are a Leave supporter and vote against May's deal you are standing up for democracy.

No wonder leave supporters are viewed as complete idiots!

The first lot know Mays' deal is a sell out , the second lot want us to keep voting  until they get the answer they want , that is probably what they call democracy. Could be mistaken but i thought both main parties promised to honour the result of the referendum during the election.Probably my misunderstanding of what democracy is.

6 minutes ago, hgdave said:

Could be mistaken but i thought both main parties promised to honour the result of the referendum during the election.

They did, but given that nobody actually said what leave actually meant at the time of the referendum it's not surprising that nobody can make up their mind what to vote for. At the end of the day, MPs have to vote for what they believe is in the interests of their constituencies and not be bullied into supporting something they don't believe in by a shouty minority.

Of course all this was said at the time of the referendum but it was drowned out by talk of immigrants, bendy bananas and blue passports. 

Stop blaming the politicians.

This mess is entirely of our own making.

20 minutes ago, hgdave said:

The first lot know Mays' deal is a sell out , the second lot want us to keep voting  until they get the answer they want , that is probably what they call democracy. Could be mistaken but i thought both main parties promised to honour the result of the referendum during the election.Probably my misunderstanding of what democracy is.

That's pretty much how I see it  but what do I know ,  Im just an idiot