Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

41 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I'm voting today to give the poor a pay rise by supporting a Leave party.

If I vote for a Remain supporting party I'm actually voting to give Goldman Sachs a pay rise.

Rot. Leave leaders don’t want to improve pay and conditions for poorer people. They want to remove pay and conditions protections.

7 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Why would the eu have saved british steel? they didn't save any of the others.

1) the EU proposed tariffs on Chinese steel - our government said no. 

2) what others?

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Since *all* the leave campaigns campaigned on reducing "red tape", which can only refer to worker rights and protections as business was always going to see a significant increase (costing between 6->20bn pa, according to HMG)...

Have British Steel employee's got a nice pay rise?

Don't tell me, nothing to do with you.. right?

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

If I vote for a Remain supporting party I'm actually voting to give Goldman Sachs a pay rise.

Can you vote from Russia then?

Have to say i have spent a couple of hours reading through this thread and i personally find it very unhelpful, i appreciate its a forum but perhaps some more relevance to the prospective options.

I looked on Wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament and  to be honest reading how it works make me feel it really should not exist at least not in its current form. Interesting the actual meps belong to political parties in the assembly, we only see the uk political party they associate to, remarkable that  278  of the meps are in opposition to the eu, thats more than a third of the elected assembly, so its not just the uk.

The choices, UK political party, leader ( i have left the other prospective's out to keep simpler but if any body knows just reason  they should personally not be elected  then please share).

The Brexit Party:   John Longworth :-     Easiest,  supporting the referendum  on leaving the eu, almost a second referenum its self. Succesful (rich)  businessman

Change UK:   Diana Wallis:-   Pro EU, members from different political parties but rather Liberal democraticish i think.?

Conservative:   John Procter:- if you believe in the eu and support Conservatives?

English Democrats:   David Allen:- who, what now, more research needed.

Green:   Magid Magid:- if you believe in the eu and like greens

Labour:   Richard Corbett:- if you believe in the eu and support labour

Liberal Democrats:  Shaffaq Mohammed:- if you believe in the eu and suport Liberal Democrats, Sheffielder

The Yorkshire Party:   Chris Whitwood:- as proud a Yorkshire man as i am,i'm not sure the EU will recognise Yorkshire Independence and non UK meps won't understand us - vot is this eck and vi should i go buy it.

UKIP:   Mike "Right hook" Hookem:- Anti EU, will be taking votes away from Brexit Party, a Non-Inscrits still i belive,  ex military and working class background .

Please contribute any relevant info to party or candidates.

There isn't any protest vote to choose as such like monster raving looney party but brexit and ukip are close enough i reckon.

As i understand it (never voted in EU election before- i know, but well its a long way away and my head hurts ..... head down in shame) we will get a choice of putting a single tick in the box associated to the political party (the uk one). Then  (described here- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27187434 - head hurts more now and starting to lose the plot.) the proportion thing happens which means a vote for say Ukip if you were dithering between ukip/brexit wouldn't be a wasted vote as after all the dividing down the first candidate would still probably be elected. I think with this system you will definitely get the first choice of all the main parties elected just how many of the supporting cast.

Of course as a nation we will be looking at the total votes for/against the EU.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Labour:   Richard Corbett:- if you believe in the eu and support labour

Why don't they just say this in the manifesto? They are trying to make out their EU policy is for both Remain and Leave voters. They have to make some more concrete statement. I won't vote for any 'mainstream' party in this one. They need to take some pain imo.

4 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I won't vote for any 'mainstream' party in this one. They need to take some pain imo.

Who do you define as a mainstream party?

47 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

The Brexit Party:   John Longworth :-     Easiest,  supporting the referendum  on leaving the eu, almost a second referenum its self. Succesful (rich)  businessman

Only if you count every pro EU vote together against every anti EU vote.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who do you define as a mainstream party?

'mainstream' in speech marks, the old big 3 , Lab , Cons, LibDems.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

The candidates should really state which European political party they will be joining if any. Those party's all seem to be pro or anti EU (which does seems to include like the "European Conservatives and Reformist"  whom seem to be more reform than scrap it - i don't really know)  whereas some UK parties are divided, with others not really stating their EU'ness. Is the Yorkshire party pro or anti EU?  Will the outcome of this vote  affect Brexit anyway?  Do you vote for a party that isn't anti EU  even if you are a brexiteer in case brexit doesn't happen for a long time if at all and feel the top candidates of that party would do a better job whilst we are still in the EU ? its all a bit too much for someone who just wants a quiet  and simple life, perhaps you just like the cut of their jib 😁. Put another way we can take Brexit and UKIP  as anti but not necessarily votes for the others as pro. 

Does the UK party leader control the MEP, ie. does a Labour MEP follow the orders of Corbyn? It did seem so with Cameron and his MEP's

In the last few hours of researching whom to vote for has made me a lot less of an EU fan (as it is now) i have to say, that narrows it down  at least, now might flip a coin.

Perhaps the EU as an organisation is possibly that broken it really does needs scrapping and starting again, much like our own national administration selection system. 

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Manifestos supporting Leave, are Labour, Tory, Brexit, UKIP.

Supporting remain are Green and LibDem.

Is that how you propose to call it?

38 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Perhaps the EU as an organisation is possibly that broken it really does needs scrapping and starting again, much like our own national administration selection system. 

Look at the EU during the last two years of Brexit negotiation then look at the UK government and now tell me which one is broken!