Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

There will be lot of nonsense written and said about what the results mean, and why it means that whatever that person wants to be true is true, over the next 24 hours but the only meaningful result of this election is that yesterday the UK was represented in the EU Parliament by a right-wing majority of MEPs and this morning it's represented by a left-wing majority of MEPs. Everything else said about the results today is just spin by political parties and activists vying for your attention.

59 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Just sat watching Good Morning Britain, and they had an interview with the Lib Dem president.

I'm sure I heard her say...

"Well if you add in the votes for the Greens then we actually did really well from last time"

How irrelevant is that?!

They didn't vote for you...they voted for another party.

That's like saying "well if you add all the goals scored by Manchester United, then our team actually won the Championship"

The point is that pro-remain parties actually had an excellent result too. To the extent that as we shall see in coming weeks the Brexit party did not do enough.

29 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

The point is that pro-remain parties actually had an excellent result too. To the extent that as we shall see in coming weeks the Brexit party did not do enough.

Turnout was 36%, so 64% couldn't give a flying fig what happens to Brexit, just sort it out!

8 hours ago, ez8004 said:

Wales has flipped to being a Remain nation.

Only very, very slightly.

Wales results: 

Leave:

Brexit Party - 271,404 - 32.5%

Conservatives - 54,587 - 6.5%

UKIP - 27,566 - 3.3%

Total: 42.3%

Remain:

Plaid Cymru - 163,928 - 19.6%

Lib Dems - 113,885 - 13.6%

Green - 52,660 - 6.3%

Change UK - 24,332 - 2.9%

Total: 42.4%

In, out, shake it all about (assign half to each side)

Labour - 127,833 - 15.3%

= Leave 49.95%

Remain 50.05%

Pleased for Sheffield - both Shaffaq Muhammad and Magid Magid will represent the city well (should we remain) congrats gents!

3 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Wales results: 

Leave:

UKIP - 27,566 - 3.3%

Remain:

Green - 52,660 - 6.3%

Labour - 127,833 - 15.3%

= Leave 49.95%

Remain 50.05%

Labour haven’t helped anyone with their ambiguous stance, have they.

Looking at the national results, we can conclude that The Brexit Party have done well. Green/LD have done well. Change have gone. Labour and Tories were hopeless.

I’m not sure that we are much further forward. My money is on Labour and the Tories polarising into no deal/people’s vote parties in the next few months. 

Just now, Pettytom said:

Looking at the national results, we can conclude that The Brexit Party have done well. Green/LD have done well. Change have gone. Labour and Tories were hopeless.

I’m not sure that we are much further forward. My money is on Labour and the Tories polarising into no deal/people’s vote parties in the next few months. 

What we can conclude is the results show so far, if you split the Labour vote across each side, that it's still pretty much the same leave V remain split as in 2016. I don't think a second referendum is the panacea that people think it is. How we do get out of this mess though, I have no idea.

9 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Wales results: 

Leave:

UKIP - 27,566 - 3.3%

Remain:

Green - 52,660 - 6.3%

Labour - 127,833 - 15.3%

= Leave 49.95%

Remain 50.05%

Your analysis isn’t very fair at all. Considering a third of Tory voters are remainers and 75% of Labour voters are remainers, it swings Wales quite firmly from Leave to remain. 

Leave would win a second referendum.

The establishment now knows this. Remain wouldn't have young EU nationals voting to distort the result.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

On the face of it, it looks like it’s a polarisation between no deal and remain.

That is a step forward because it shows us perhaps what the essential choice is. 

But....no PM is going to get a no deal through Parliament. No deal is dead. That leaves compromise or revoke.

Just now, Car Boot said:

Leave would win a second referendum.

The establishment now knows this. Remain wouldn't have young EU nationals voting to distort the result.

Not heard about the EU nationals and British expats not being able to vote and the government is getting sued because of it?

if anything, this actually unintentionally given us quite a nice snapshot of voting intentions if a second referendum was held.

This election result only further strengthens the argument for a second referendum.  

2 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Your analysis isn’t very fair at all. Considering a third of Tory voters are remainers and 75% of Labour voters are remainers, it swings Wales quite firmly from Leave to remain. 

That's irrelevant. In an EU election, it's the position of the party on the EU that matters. Conservatives stand for leave, so their votes count for leave. Labour's position has been too unclear (although they officially stick by the 2016 result, but I'll be generous and split their vote 50/50).