Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

26 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

That's exactly what Top Cat's Hat is trying to do. He's a Remainer so he's weighting the votes by trying to class all Conservative and Labour votes as Remain votes, even though both parties officially support Brexit. The Conservatives in particular cannot be counted as Remain, since most of their MPs, membership and voters support Brexit.

That's the impression I got.

48 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

so he's weighting the votes by trying to class all Conservative and Labour votes as Remain votes, even though both parties officially support Brexit. 

Which of course I'm not, as shown by your silence when I ask you to show me where I have said that. 😂

58 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Which of course I'm not, as shown by your silence when I ask you to show me where I have said that. 😂

You strongly implied it when you said this:

Labour and the Conservatives may both be officially Leave parties but most of the people  who voted for them yesterday were almost certainly Remainers. I know it is not scientific but every single Leave supporter I know, said that they were going to vote for Farage or UKIP yesterday, the bulk of them being lifelong Labour supporters. I assume that a similar situation exists with Conservative supporters  angry about their government's inability to deliver the unicorns that they were promised in 2016

20 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

You strongly implied it when you said this:

Lol that is such a trope on this site. 😂

Someone claims that you said something which you didn't, you ask for evidence then the poster quotes you not saying what they claimed you said, then they say you 'implied' it. 

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

"Labour and the Conservatives may both be officially Leave parties but most of the people  who voted for them yesterday were almost certainly Remainers".

Not to mention our earlier exchanges on how to designate the Labour vote.

In any case, how would you propose to apportion the votes to make this a proxy second referendum?

I would say:

Leave:

Brexit Party

UKIP

Conservatives

Remain:

Liberal Democrats

Green

Change UK

Then give 50% of the Labour vote to each.

How would you split it Top Cat's Hat??

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Someone claims that you said something which you didn't, you ask for evidence then the poster quotes you not saying what they claimed you said, then they say you 'implied' it. 

I was being kind with 'implied'

but most of the people  who voted for them yesterday were almost certainly Remainers. 

7 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

"Labour and the Conservatives may both be officially Leave parties but most of the people  who voted for them yesterday were almost certainly Remainers".

Not to mention our earlier exchanges on how to designate the Labour vote.

In any case, how would you propose to apportion the votes to make this a proxy second referendum?

I would say:

Leave:

Brexit Party

UKIP

Conservatives

Remain:

Liberal Democrats

Green

Change UK

Then give 50% of the Labour vote to each.

How would you split it Top Cat's Hat??

A BBC analysis of polls puts Conservative voters split 50% remain/50% leave and Labour voters 75% remain/25% leave.

People who say they will vote Conservative are evenly split between Remain and Leave. But people who say they'll vote Labour favour Remain by about 3:1.

No analysis of polls if perfect but it's likely to be more accurate than the hunches of the people on this forum.

23 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Why wasn't a Remain party formed? Or Remainers rally behind libdems on this issue. Most parties haven't campaigned. It was the opportunity for a defacto second referendum that has been requested by lots of people. Now it seems like another 'well this one doesn't really count either' scenario.

According to the leaver blurb we weren't even going to be involved in these elections, right up until we failed to secure the easiest deal in history in a timely manner.  So there wasn't really a lot of time left to campaign.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It's a common trope to imply but not say something, and then when challenged over it to rapidly backpedal, clarify and generally try to pretend that you never implied it.  (Not that this necessarily applies here, I didn't scroll back to look).

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

That's exactly what Top Cat's Hat is trying to do. He's a Remainer so he's weighting the votes by trying to class all Conservative and Labour votes as Remain votes, even though both parties officially support Brexit. The Conservatives in particular cannot be counted as Remain, since most of their MPs, membership and voters support Brexit.

Are you going to claim that he's wrong?  Or are a large portion of leave voters from the main parties switching to the brexit party?  The same isn't true of remain voters though is it...

46 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

According to the leaver blurb we weren't even going to be involved in these elections, right up until we failed to secure the easiest deal in history in a timely manner.  So there wasn't really a lot of time left to campaign.

The issues have been discussed widely for 2 years, the lies exposed, and all parties had the same time.

So it was perfectly feasible.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

The issues have been discussed widely for 2 years, the lies exposed, and all parties had the same time.

So it was perfectly feasible.

Indeed they have but it seems that many of the electorate have failed to learn anything.

Super snake oil salesman Farage continues to peddle the line that Brexit just means leave,which has been proved to be an impossible and potentially damaging course of action.

He maintains his populist position in the certain knowledge that he will never have to try to implement his single policy.

I wish he could become P.M. for 6 months so that he could be finally consigned to Room 101.

16 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Indeed they have but it seems that many of the electorate have failed to learn anything.

Super snake oil salesman Farage continues to peddle the line that Brexit just means leave,which has been proved to be an impossible and potentially damaging course of action.

He maintains his populist position in the certain knowledge that he will never have to try to implement his single policy.

I wish he could become P.M. for 6 months so that he could be finally consigned to Room 101.

Like Forrest Gump said - Democracy is like a box of chocolates..... 😉 

It is better than the alternatives though...