Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

I have received my postal vote and there are nine different groups that you can vote for, I cannot remember ever seeing anything about the Yorkshire Party, so will have to do a little research on them.

3 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Not decisive enough.

It's ludicrous to say the referendum result wasn't decisive enough when a clear majority voted in favour of one of the options regarding a single issue.  In a General Election a political party can achieve a landslide victory with much less than 50% of votes cast and can pass any legislation in Parliament on any issue without any problems.  The sad truth is the UK hasn't the collective maturity to deal with referendum results when the result is not what was expected or what the establishment wanted. 

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Remain haven't been convicted of breaking electoral law.

They have not been convicted for breaking electoral law by being taken to court for overspending but various Remain campaigns have breached electoral rules and been fined on several occasions. The LibDems were fined £18,000. Stronger in Europe and also Best for Our Future, a Labour group supported by the unions were also fined. 

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Not decisive enough.

When no margin of acceptance was place on the vote a simple majority is all that is needed.

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

It's ludicrous to say the referendum result wasn't decisive enough when a clear majority voted in favour of one of the options regarding a single issue.  In a General Election a political party can achieve a landslide victory with much less than 50% of votes cast and can pass any legislation in Parliament on any issue without any problems.  The sad truth is the UK hasn't the collective maturity to deal with referendum results when the result is not what was expected or what the establishment wanted. 

No it’s not ludicrous. It was a near 50:50 split. You can’t carry through a bad Brexit deal on that. Not a chance.

5 hours ago, apelike said:

They have not been convicted for breaking electoral law by being taken to court for overspending but various Remain campaigns have breached electoral rules and been fined on several occasions. The LibDems were fined £18,000. Stronger in Europe and also Best for Our Future, a Labour group supported by the unions were also fined. 

When no margin of acceptance was place on the vote a simple majority is all that is needed.

Needed for what?

32 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Needed for what?

I though that was pretty obvious but.. You stated that the vote was not decisive enough, I'm pointing out that as no margin of acceptance was placed on the vote by parliament then a simple majority is all that is needed for the result with the most votes to be declared valid.

32 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

No it’s not ludicrous. It was a near 50:50 split. You can’t carry through a bad Brexit deal on that. Not a chance.

It must be my age that is somehow messing up my mind. The vote was not near 50/50 but as you well know 48/52 which equates to a million and a quarter votes, quite a sizable majority in my old befuddled mind.

I do agree that the proposed Brexit deal is a bad one. The only Brexit deal that is a good deal is to leave the failing corrupt institution that is the EU, lock, stock and barrel.

Angel1.

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

I though that was pretty obvious but.. You stated that the vote was not decisive enough, I'm pointing out that as no margin of acceptance was placed on the vote by parliament then a simple majority is all that is needed for the result with the most votes to be declared valid.

To put this in perspective the Brexit party has no policies and no manifesto and no plan.

So I ask again? Enough for what?

Its far from obvious

5 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

It must be my age that is somehow messing up my mind. The vote was not near 50/50 but as you well know 48/52 which equates to a million and a quarter votes, quite a sizable majority in my old befuddled mind.

I do agree that the proposed Brexit deal is a bad one. The only Brexit deal that is a good deal is to leave the failing corrupt institution that is the EU, lock, stock and barrel.

Angel1.

For a change of such magnitude it should be obvious by now that such a small majority is  insufficient for anything but the softest Brexit.

10 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

To put this in perspective the Brexit party has no policies and no manifesto and no plan.

Err, it was not about the brexit party.. I think you are getting mixed up again as my reply was about your reply to Peniston999 in post 188 where he stated "And there was me thinking anything over 50% of a vote gives you a majority." and you replied: "Not decisive enough."

So I ask again? Enough for what?

Its far from obvious

Now go back and read the replies again as it is very obvious.

Edited by apelike

11 hours ago, ez8004 said:

Hmm..... Which part of your comment is correct.  None of it.

The Liberal Democrats are part of a commission majority in the European Parliament, the ALDE.  What are the Greens part of?  Nothing, they can't even align their opposition!  Which EU representative has come over to the UK to support the Green Party in the upcoming elections? The leader of the ALDE, Guy Verhofstadt has come and campaigned for the Lib Dems. He also happens to be the Chief Brexit Coordinator in the European Parliament. 

Who have the Greens managed to bring over?

Voting Green is the best way to waste your vote if you want to Remain.  

Please stop spouting rubbish, it is misinformation that is irresponsible. 

Oh dear.

Under Sheffield forum rules I can't link to the Green Party website to prove that my comments were absolutely correct.  But I will say that in 2014 the Green Party won 7% of the vote, winning 3 MEPs. Since 2016 this block of Green MEPs has been the largest pro-EU British voice inside the EU Parliament.

I am not counting either Labour or the Tories as Remain parties. The Lib Dems, despite a local election surge, will get less votes than the Green Party.

I have much respect for the plucky Green Party. I have none at all for the odious and untrustworthy Lib Dems.

Edited by Car Boot

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

Err, it was not about the brexit party.. I think you are getting mixed up again as my reply was about your reply to Peniston999 in post 188 where he stated "And there was me thinking anything over 50% of a vote gives you a majority." and you replied: "Not decisive enough."

Now go back and read the replies again as it is very obvious.

A know there was a majority. I’m asking the question: a majority for what?

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Oh, they have. Nigel's said he's only going to tell people what they are after the EU elections.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

A know there was a majority. I’m asking the question: a majority for what?

If you know there was a majority then it follows that you also know what for so its not necessary for me to explain! I think Camerons Pro-EU leaflet spelt it out quite well. Oh hang on no, that was about the impending disaster after a leave vote... ;)

Edited by apelike