Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

How can it be wrong to disagree with the results of a national vote? And to want to reverse the decision, or to at least have a confirmatory vote now that many additional details are known?

Both are entirely compatible with the democratic process.

And since when do we put democracy over everything else? Our FPTP system isn't particularly democratic, and democracy has pulled out alot of people from poverty, in fact quite the opposite in recent times. Not only that, we're giving total control to likes of May, Corbyn or Johnson, all egged on by farage who has been rejected - democratically - several times.

But funny results in some of the council elections suggest that those who will suffer hardest in the result of a no deal brexit really still want it and I don't know why.

36 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But it's too hard. We can't achieve what was promised by various leave campaigns. If we leave without a deal, we'll break up the country - and farage and his bunch of liars are totally fine with that. It's a toss up really, force through a referendum result and damage the country for decades (rees mogg says it could be 50 years before we see benefits) or ditch it. 

Nothing is too hard, it's just going to be different, and Brits are nothing if not adaptable and innovative, even in the face of a slerotic administration. Personally, I think that the UK is unlikely to break up but that's a bridge to cross at the time if enough people think that it is the right thing. The Scots are a canny crowd and they know a good thing, and that's not the nationalist <removed> in the SNP. The Irish are, well, the Irish, whichever side of a pretend border they happen to live, and wherever they want to go the best starting place will be somewhere else.

HMG have done very little of note in the last 3 years, and the nation is muddling just fine so I think the sun will still come up every morning when we're not in the EU.  Amusingly it turns out that the most conservative people are Remainers, not Conservatives. :)  

Back on topic.... so boys and girls - Farage is back then! What do you reckon, more than 50 of the 73 MEP seats? 

28 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

How can it be wrong to disagree with the results of a national vote? And to want to reverse the decision, or to at least have a confirmatory vote now that many additional details are known?

Both are entirely compatible with the democratic process.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with an election result - that would be a  contradiction in terms.

Not implementing the vote and promises made it is wrong. 

Edited by nikki-red

A party with no manifesto. A party attracting racists. A leader who openly admires Putin, and who wants to privatise the NHS, and who is ant-immigration. A leader who lies openly and who can’t tolerate any level of scrutiny.

Its just Ukip again. It is going the same way.

Nowhere.

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Nothing is too hard, it's just going to be different, and Brits are nothing if not adaptable and innovative, even in the face of a slerotic administration. Personally, I think that the UK is unlikely to break up but that's a bridge to cross at the time if enough people think that it is the right thing. The Scots are a canny crowd and they know a good thing, and that's not the nationalist <removed> in the SNP. The Irish are, well, the Irish, whichever side of a pretend border they happen to live, and wherever they want to go the best starting place will be somewhere else.

HMG have done very little of note in the last 3 years, and the nation is muddling just fine so I think the sun will still come up every morning when we're not in the EU.  Amusingly it turns out that the most conservative people are Remainers, not Conservatives. :)  

Back on topic.... so boys and girls - Farage is back then! What do you reckon, more than 50 of the 73 MEP seats? 

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with an election result - that would be a  contradiction in terms.

Yep, at least 50. Could be 60.

Edited by nikki-red

16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yep, at least 50. Could be 60.

No. The Brexit party will only achieve around 30 seats.

12 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

A party with no manifesto. A party attracting racists. A leader who openly admires Putin, and who wants to privatise the NHS, and who is ant-immigration. A leader who lies openly and who can’t tolerate any level of scrutiny.

Its just Ukip again. It is going the same way.

Nowhere.

Did you see Farage on the Andrew Marr show this morning?  Looks like  you're copying what Andrew Marr said.  Farage answered all the questions well.  

Of course its going nowhere because the UK haven't left the EU and won't leave the EU properly even if some agreement is reached between Labour and the Conservative parties.  Brexit like UKIP are not really political parties, but are pressure groups.  A vote for Brexit is a protest vote for being cheated out of democracy.  It will all be a waste of time because  Parliament ignored the wishes of 17.4 million people who voted to leave the EU and will also ignore the wishes of those placing a protest vote for Brexit in an election the UK wouldn't be taking part in,  if the majority of MPs had respected the democratic 2016 EU referendum result.

34 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Did you see Farage on the Andrew Marr show this morning?  Looks like  you're copying what Andrew Marr said.  Farage answered all the questions well.  

Of course its going nowhere because the UK haven't left the EU and won't leave the EU properly even if some agreement is reached between Labour and the Conservative parties.  Brexit like UKIP are not really political parties, but are pressure groups.  A vote for Brexit is a protest vote for being cheated out of democracy.  It will all be a waste of time because  Parliament ignored the wishes of 17.4 million people who voted to leave the EU and will also ignore the wishes of those placing a protest vote for Brexit in an election the UK wouldn't be taking part in,  if the majority of MPs had respected the democratic 2016 EU referendum result.

Yes I did see it. And Farage didn’t really answer all of the questions.

Bottom line. He admires the leader of basically our biggest enemy. He wants to privatise the NHS. And he is anti-immigrant, and sorry to say it that means you are on his radar. He has no definition of what Brexit is.

You support this nonsense.

44 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes I did see it. And Farage didn’t really answer all of the questions.

Bottom line. He admires the leader of basically our biggest enemy. He wants to privatise the NHS. And he is anti-immigrant, and sorry to say it that means you are on his radar. He has no definition of what Brexit is.

You support this nonsense.

I have never heard of Farage being an admirer of the leader of the EU.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I know. :)

Well, you could try to explain the logic that you think exists...  Or you could accept that it actually is illogical.

40 minutes ago, retep said:

Haha haha. I've seen what you've done there. Hilarious albeit completely and utterly wrong.

48 minutes ago, retep said:

You really believe the EU is our biggest enemy?

Seriously?