Euro Elections

mort

This thread has been reviewed and returned to the main forum. 

A couple of points for you to take note of.

We expect it to remain civil and within our usual forum rules.

As this is about an election the following will apply

Here at SF we try to ensure fair play, and that includes during elections. We don't allow links direct to political party websites or to sites that spread spurious stories for political influence at any time, and that will continue. We also ask candidates and those campaigning for political parties to follow our code of conduct in the run up to elections. In order to not provide any influence unfairly to any side, we ask that those who are standing or who represent a party refrain from posting in threads to do with political discussion or elections during the 4 week run up to the vote.

It's  mandatory and your account will be suspended if you don't do it.

If you have any questions please take them to the helpdesk rather than starting threads attacking the forum team. If you do that then your account will be suspended. 

Message added by mort

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

All the things I’ve posted are factual.

But in the grand scheme of things its immaterial to the referendum vote and outcome. Laws were broken and the appropriate punishment for breaking them was administered, and no laws were broken as far as the use/misuse of social media was concerned.

And, if the remain campaign broke the law too then that makes it even worse and does not cancel out the wrongdoing on the leave side.

I didnt say it did. 

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

But in the grand scheme of things its immaterial to the referendum vote and outcome. Laws were broken and the appropriate punishment for breaking them was administered, and no laws were broken as far as the use/misuse of social media was concerned.

I didnt say it did. 

Not all investigations are complete.  Its completely relevant to the outcome.

Something people don’t get is that if Brexit goes wrong the blame is going to point straight back at the referendum and the failure to deal with the issues around it.

It will be blame all the way 

Something people don’t get is that if Brexit goes wrong the blame is going to point straight back at the referendum and the failure to deal with the issues around it.

And the Tory party at the next election; they will need to time the next election to minimise that.

14 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It isn’t a protest though. It is a democratic necessity brought about by our bungling Government. Had they done their job correctly, this election wouldn’t be happening.

Save your anger for the Tory negotiating team that failed to get an acceptable deal. They’ve left us in limbo.

You can’t blame people for voting in line with their beliefs, no matter how wrong you consider them to be. 

May`s "surrender" deal is unacceptable as it does NOT deliver the result of the referendum. But Labour and the rest of the insignificant small parties are equally to blame for trying to thwart the will of the people and the result of the referendum. 

13 hours ago, RJRB said:

There’s a few that I blame including Cameron,Farage,and all the supposedly Brexit Conservative MPs who were not prepared to step up to the plate in a way that Brexit voters might have expected.

We are now left with various factions who are only able to take negative and destructive actions.

A vote for any anti EU candidate into the European Parliament is just another negative and destructive use of a vote.

No its not. Its a vote to cause as much grief and trouble in the EU parliament as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

No its not. Its a vote to cause as much grief and trouble in the EU parliament as possible. 

By not turning up and giving everyone else a free hand? You have to actually attend to do that, not one of Farages strong points.

46 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

As I said,negative and destructive,not to mention stupidly irresponsible.

12 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Not all investigations are complete.  Its completely relevant to the outcome.

Not really. What people fail to understand is that the referendum was conducted differently to a general election but are trying to put GE rules on it. With the referendum blame can be put on the people who are in charge and run a campaign but it is very hard to legally quantify if filling in wrong expense claims made any difference to the outcome. There are referendum laws in place regarding that situation and those laws have been used to prosecute individuals in charge. With a GE an individual can be prosecuted for electoral fraud and be held accountable to an Election Court but the party they represent cannot as its the individual candidate that is responsible.

It depend how you think brexit can go wrong. 

I agree but that blame will be on the inept MP's who agreed to hold a referendum, and being not happy with the outcome then took control of it.

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Of course its not and as everybody on here keeps pointing out that is democracy, people chose what they want as they did in the referendum. The stupid bit is having to take part in the Euro Elections anyway.

Edited by apelike

8 hours ago, RJRB said:

The Tories and Labour stood on an election manifesto pledge to deliver Brexit and take us out of the EU . They Lied. There is only one party who now represent the views and wishes of Leave voters , and that is the Brexit party. And we need to get as many of their candidates elected as possible and take away as many votes as possible from the two Traitor parties. 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:16, taxman said:

Davies and Rabb basically believed they could go for lunch in Brussels, throw some demands around then come back to their club in London for tea. They never got within a mile of a deal which meant May had to do it herself. Whether you think her deal is poor or not, at least it is one. Davies and Rabb wre a pathetic embarrassment.

100% agree with this. What compounded this was the almost sympathetic treatment the media gave them, and Liam Fox and Boris Johnson.

It really annoys me how the broadcast media, (I don't include print media because the Mail and Express were always going to be soft on them) almost ignored their lamentable failure. 

Now if Jeremy Corbyn's ministers had been as pathetic, making statements such as 

"Brexit deal that we will have to do with the EU should be one of the easiest in human history"

"Brexit will be a walk in the park"

"we will take back control of roughly 350m per week. It would be a fine thing as many of us have pointed out if a lot of that money went on the NHS"

"I hadn't quite understood how reliant UK trade in goods is on the Dover-Calais crossing".

I mean just imagine if Diane Abbott had said what Raab did about not understanding the Dover Calais crossing, Laura Kuennsberg would be lapping it up and  this forum would be so awash with Tory spittle, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by Mister M

On 09/05/2019 at 15:19, Mister M said:

I like the liberal democrats promotional literature for the EU elections:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/09/vince-cable-stakes-lib-dems-claim-as-torch-carriers-for-remain

Cable's got some balls to agree to it ;)

The party that helped impose austerity on the poorest, the Lib Dems, are using an offensive swear word to insult 17.4 million people who voted to Leave the EU.

OFCOM currently rates the word used by the Lib Dems as medium in offensiveness, and it cannot be used before the watershed on television.

Any election material using the word should be reported to the police. The middle class supporters of austerity shouldn't be allowed to get away with their attacks on the working class and the poor.

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The party that helped impose austerity on the poorest, the Lib Dems, are using an offensive swear word to insult 17.4 million people who voted to Leave the EU.

OFCOM currently rates the word used by the Lib Dems as medium in offensiveness, and it cannot be used before the watershed on television.

Any election material using the word should be reported to the police. The middle class supporters of austerity shouldn't be allowed to get away with their attacks on the working class and the poor.

If you get one through the door please dial 999 immediately.