Car hire Portugal

Off to Albufeira this Summer. We mostly use public transport where possible but I want to be able to escape into the countryside and explore. Any recommendations for car hire? Want all the insurances possible, don't want any hassle if case of any mishaps . There will be 5 of us. Thanks 

https://www.zestcarrental.com/quote/results/

This compares a load of local car hire companies, i've used them before and found them very good although the cars won't or may not be as new as some of the bigger brands but then again you aren't paying the elevated price.

Some have the cars at the airport but they are in the car park at a kiosk and it's a smooth collection and only about a 200 metre walk. You could go pick the car up and return to your family by the airport exit if you have a lot of bags and don't fancy lugging them to the car.

The bigger more expensive brands are in the airport lobby, save yourself a few quid and go with one of the Zest ones.

The motorway which runs along most of the Algarve has toll bridges which  automatically charge a fee via  a pre loaded sensor in the car and you can top it up locally if I remember correctly.

Some of the companies take the driver by mini bus to their local office but then you'll have to drive it back to collect the rest of the gang. 

The insurance is covered fully, or it was when I used them last.

Edited by Bash Street

58 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Thanks

No need to use motorways,  the normal roads are good,  though a bit busy round main areas, depends how far you want to go. We stayed in Vilamoura and went right over to cape st vincent just using normal roads, no problem.

No recommendations but a small local firm will give better value than one of the majors based at the airport unless you can get some kind of all in package.

Be careful on the Portuguese roads, especially away from the big towns. The driving can be a little sketchy! 😉