Logging at Bradfield

I have noticed that large areas of pine woods are being cleared at Bradfield and wondered if anyone knows why?   It seems such a shame for the birds and animals that live in the woods there .

Edited by Moonbird

27 minutes ago, Moonbird said:

I have noticed that large areas of pine woods are being cleared at Bradfield and wondered if anyone knows why?   It seems such a shame for the birds and animals that live in the woods there .

'Cleared' suggests they are being removed to be replaced by some other 'non tree' product.

If it is where I think it is, it is managed woodland which is being harvested and will be replanted with new saplings. The woodland creatures and birds will find plenty of other places to hang out.

The forestry commission planted a number of, often non-native, fast growing woodlands to replenish our tree stock which had been decimated during both world wars. Now that these trees are mature, and our national wood stock is fairly secure, they are being logged, partly because coniferous woodlands have pretty poor biodiversity. The replacement trees are slower growing native deciduous woodlands which offer much better habitats for wildlife.

It is a ridiculous time of the year to be clearing trees though. We are right in the middle of the nesting season so I hope proper surveys were conducted before felling began.

On 03/05/2019 at 18:19, biotechpete said:

The forestry commission planted a number of, often non-native, fast growing woodlands to replenish our tree stock which had been decimated during both world wars. Now that these trees are mature, and our national wood stock is fairly secure, they are being logged, partly because coniferous woodlands have pretty poor biodiversity. The replacement trees are slower growing native deciduous woodlands which offer much better habitats for wildlife.

This does sound right to be fair, its just so sad to see all the stumps where trees once were, I can't help but wonder where the animals and birds have gone, and like Taxman think its not the best time of year to be felling them...just a bit sad.

I really must go to specsavers 😊

Pine woodlands are not good nesting grounds for birds.  The soil is often poor, acidic and carpeted with pine needles, so very little grows.

If they are larch trees then they are probably being harvested as there is a larch "bug" advancing across the country, if it caught hold it would make the timber worthless.  Acres of larch has been harvested, for instance, in Chatsworth.

Edited to add:

Ramorum disease (Phytophthora ramorum)

The wonders of google...

Edited by Cyclecar
update

There's  some above Briers house that are about eighty years old, could it be those?

Most of Monk Wood, adjacent to Dronfield Bypass, has been felled recently. I got quite a shock when I saw it for the first time. The trees were mostly coniferous.

21 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I really must go to specsavers 😊

Chuckle.

22 hours ago, Cyclecar said:

If they are larch trees then they are probably being harvested as there is a larch "bug" advancing across the country, if it caught hold it would make the timber worthless.  Acres of larch has been harvested, for instance, in Chatsworth.

Edited to add:

Ramorum disease (Phytophthora ramorum)

The wonders of google...

Just had a look and yes at least some may well be Larch, I guess the new trees will take hold well in their place and the variety will be better in the long run, its a sad sight though.