Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheffield Landladies 1951-1990- help needed !

58 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Mrs. Bangnal in the Harlequin during the 60s after her  husband died.

Yes, the picturesheffield.com site has a 1965 photo of the Harlequin, ref. s25111, with a caption that mentions "Hilda Bagnall, licensee".

On 12/05/2019 at 06:55, isle hopper said:

My great aunt Mel Fagan was landlady of several pubs in Sheffield back in the 1930/40/50 I believe the Bridge Inn ( near the Wicker) was her last  but from long ago conversations with my grandmother I recall her mentioning The Durham Ox and the Castle on Manor Lane. Mels daughter my aunt Margaret was landlady of a pub in Crosspool  maybe Tavern? The Barrel in Broard Lane renamed Fagans was named after Joe Fagan my uncle. My parents also entered the licensed trade but in other parts of the country. this has brought so many memories back of childhood visits and drinking lemonade in the back kitchen as unlike today children were not allowed in public houses and fizzy drinks were a rare treat!  

Hi- Was your aunt married to Michael Fagan? I have him as the licencee at the Bridge 1940-1961...

8 hours ago, theimposter said:

Hi- Was your aunt married to Michael Fagan? I have him as the licencee at the Bridge 1940-1961...

Yes, Mick Fagan was married to my aunt Mel. My memories of Mick are few as he seemed to be a very quite person I believe he suffered ill health therefore Mel seemed to be in charge.

Mick and sue pinder Huntsman on Barnsley Rd... Sid and Mary grant rising sun jenkin Rd 

How about Sheila and Colin Goddard the Penguin Shiregreen.

2 hours ago, petcharlie said:

How about Sheila and Colin Goddard the Penguin Shiregreen.

Loved that pub in 80's is it still open? Had many a good night in there when we lived on woolley Wood Rd 👍

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Loved that pub in 80's is it still open? Had many a good night in there when we lived on woolley Wood Rd 👍

I'm afraid it is closed the building is still there but for how long I do not know.It is boarded up and it has been vandalised such a shame .I have passed it a couple of times in the past year or so and it really is sad to see the state of it I remember the great nights and times I have had in there.Colin and Sheila would be so shocked to see the place it was always packed he made that place jump.I also relieved managed there on a number of occasions when they were on holiday and slept down stairs in the flat and I have such fond memories of the place.

I can remember them actually building it when I was a lad it was a big occasion the day it opened one wall in the small lounge had a freeze on it of penguins and it looked really posh now it looks like a bomb as hit it,so sad.

3 hours ago, petcharlie said:

I'm afraid it is closed the building is still there but for how long I do not know.It is boarded up and it has been vandalised such a shame .I have passed it a couple of times in the past year or so and it really is sad to see the state of it I remember the great nights and times I have had in there.Colin and Sheila would be so shocked to see the place it was always packed he made that place jump.I also relieved managed there on a number of occasions when they were on holiday and slept down stairs in the flat and I have such fond memories of the place.

I can remember them actually building it when I was a lad it was a big occasion the day it opened one wall in the small lounge had a freeze on it of penguins and it looked really posh now it looks like a bomb as hit it,so sad.

Last time I went in was 1980 for a wedding reception.. Very sad it's closed