Sheffield Landladies 1951-1990- help needed !

58 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Mrs. Bangnal in the Harlequin during the 60s after her  husband died.

Yes, the picturesheffield.com site has a 1965 photo of the Harlequin, ref. s25111, with a caption that mentions "Hilda Bagnall, licensee".

On 12/05/2019 at 06:55, isle hopper said:

My great aunt Mel Fagan was landlady of several pubs in Sheffield back in the 1930/40/50 I believe the Bridge Inn ( near the Wicker) was her last  but from long ago conversations with my grandmother I recall her mentioning The Durham Ox and the Castle on Manor Lane. Mels daughter my aunt Margaret was landlady of a pub in Crosspool  maybe Tavern? The Barrel in Broard Lane renamed Fagans was named after Joe Fagan my uncle. My parents also entered the licensed trade but in other parts of the country. this has brought so many memories back of childhood visits and drinking lemonade in the back kitchen as unlike today children were not allowed in public houses and fizzy drinks were a rare treat!  

Hi- Was your aunt married to Michael Fagan? I have him as the licencee at the Bridge 1940-1961...

8 hours ago, theimposter said:

Hi- Was your aunt married to Michael Fagan? I have him as the licencee at the Bridge 1940-1961...

Yes, Mick Fagan was married to my aunt Mel. My memories of Mick are few as he seemed to be a very quite person I believe he suffered ill health therefore Mel seemed to be in charge.

How about Sheila and Colin Goddard the Penguin Shiregreen.

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Loved that pub in 80's is it still open? Had many a good night in there when we lived on woolley Wood Rd 👍

I'm afraid it is closed the building is still there but for how long I do not know.It is boarded up and it has been vandalised such a shame .I have passed it a couple of times in the past year or so and it really is sad to see the state of it I remember the great nights and times I have had in there.Colin and Sheila would be so shocked to see the place it was always packed he made that place jump.I also relieved managed there on a number of occasions when they were on holiday and slept down stairs in the flat and I have such fond memories of the place.

I can remember them actually building it when I was a lad it was a big occasion the day it opened one wall in the small lounge had a freeze on it of penguins and it looked really posh now it looks like a bomb as hit it,so sad.

Ada Bennet was the landlady of Rising Sun, Abbey Lane. I worked there as a barmaid in 71/72. Remember others- Cynthia Green, Andrew Staniland my cousin.  Ada always wore a silk 'corsage' pinned to her dress and had a pug dog named Benji. She served lunches in the cocktail bar during the week.  Although a free house, Mansfield Bitter was the beer on tap costing 6s 8d per pint. The till was just like Arkwrights'  with no calculator and a very fast spring return. We were not allowed to accept money tips but could charge the customer for a drink. 

1 hour ago, death_of_rats40 said:

Ada Bennet was the landlady of Rising Sun, Abbey Lane. I worked there as a barmaid in 71/72. Remember others- Cynthia Green, Andrew Staniland my cousin.  Ada always wore a silk 'corsage' pinned to her dress and had a pug dog named Benji. She served lunches in the cocktail bar during the week.  Although a free house, Mansfield Bitter was the beer on tap costing 6s 8d per pint. The till was just like Arkwrights'  with no calculator and a very fast spring return. We were not allowed to accept money tips but could charge the customer for a drink. 

I think you are way out with the price of beer in that period.

We were already decimal by February 1971.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16608-beer-prices-in-1971/

On 12/05/2019 at 16:07, hillsbro said:

This depends on when it was. Directories often don't name licensees after 1954, and Mary Latham isn't mentioned in the ones I have up to the last (1974) edition. A quick web search brought up the Winter 1992 edition of "Dore to Door" which mentions Mary Latham at the Dore Moor Inn but doesn't give a date. "... Innkeepers since 1905 have included M. Hutchinson, a Mr Beamer, Norman Trimnell and Mary Latham. Mr and Mrs Jack Jones ran the inn from 1975 until Ken Cooney took over in 1987 after 18 years at the Big Gun in the Wicker."

My memory could be faulty but a girl called Janice Latham was at The gregg school in sheffield circa  late 1950 early 1960 and her parents ran the dore more inn.I seem to recall that she had auburn coloured hair.

Clarence ( known as Clarrie )  and Joan Whittaker.   Their first pub was  The Junction Inn on Brightside Lane.

Second pub was  The Douglas Inn, Douglas Road right at the top of Parkwood Springs.   Their third pub was  The Bulls Head, High Street, Mexborough.   Wonder if anybody remembers them ?

Ernest and Betty Farmery , Nags Head , Shalesmoor .

My favourite pub in the  City was the Bull and Oak in the Wicker run by Frank Wainwright for many years 70's and 80's.

When Frank died his wife Audrey took over and had the name changed over the door to Audrey Waring - Wainwright  including her maiden name.

I believe that when the Pub was ear-marked for demolition she spent some time in the Big Gun also in the Wicker. 

Not so sure about this as I had gone to Australia by this time.

Colin & Mavis Dyson had the Salutation in Attercliffe around the 1968  1970 time.

Edited by Janet Olsen
spelling error.