Buses to Scraithwood, Sheffield 5

Guest busdriver1
On 30/04/2019 at 19:37, Retro Queen said:

The man at Travel Line said that the buses don't run a service now and only run for a profit so if a service isn't used they cut it back. 

Its nice to see professional unbiased advice being given out. Did he also explain that it is (under the road traffic act) illegal to run a service at a loss and the responsibility for providing socially desirable services falls to the PTE where it grinds to a halt? Yes, bus services in the main are run as a business and as such they are fully entitled to expect a return for their outlay i the same way any other business would.

Cue the " I used to travel 50 miles for 2p" brigade.

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Its nice to see professional unbiased advice being given out. Did he also explain that it is (under the road traffic act) illegal to run a service at a loss and the responsibility for providing socially desirable services falls to the PTE where it grinds to a halt? Yes, bus services in the main are run as a business and as such they are fully entitled to expect a return for their outlay i the same way any other business would.

Cue the " I used to travel 50 miles for 2p" brigade.

I don't understand why they have cut this route  back though. There are a lot of estates round there - Scraithwood, Shirecliffe, Oxspring Bank, I'm sure the service would be well used as it was when I used it ten years ago. When you pay bus fares you do expect to get a service, especially when you live in a suburb of a big city, such remote services like this usually happen in the countryside.

Edited by Retro Queen

13 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

" I used to travel 50 miles for 2p"

I'm not a frequent bus user but your comment on "2p" was a school day reminder for me. I think the busses were the 10 & 89 that I could catch to school. The grand total each way was 2p. A long time ago!

Back on topic...

Guest busdriver1
17 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

I don't understand why they have cut this route  back though.

Well I would bet they are not getting cut back because they are running full and making money.  

Pubs and Clubs are closing, cheap supermarket beer and a smoking ban may well have a part to play. 

Massive outlays on low floor vehicles to comply with new legislation and the PTE retaining money that is owed to bus companies has a part to play as well.

Now the council want bus operators to lay out more on lower emissions vehicles whilst ignoring the biggest polluters of all - Aircraft.

The bus industry is on its knees and the main reason is political interference. 

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Well I would bet they are not getting cut back because they are running full and making money.  

Pubs and Clubs are closing, cheap supermarket beer and a smoking ban may well have a part to play. 

Massive outlays on low floor vehicles to comply with new legislation and the PTE retaining money that is owed to bus companies has a part to play as well.

Now the council want bus operators to lay out more on lower emissions vehicles whilst ignoring the biggest polluters of all - Aircraft.

The bus industry is on its knees and the main reason is political interference. 

The 32 bus (that was once the number 7) has cut back, even though it was getting used. Now one bus per hour, finishes at 7.00 pm and no service on Sundays.

You can download a map of all the bus and tram routes in North Sheffield here: https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/northsheffieldnetworkbusmap/

The 32 is basically a community minibus type service that covers some of the areas off the main road where more regular buses such as the 38/38a,  83/83a and 97/98 run. I would imagine the majority of passengers are pensioners on free passes so the service will not be taking much money - it will be one subsidised by the local authority to run and funded to the level of social need - which is basically a daytime shuttle to get folks to the local shops and doctors appointments.

Try the journey planner at www.travelsouthyorkshire.com for what you need and it will suggest the best options at the times you want, even if that includes a short walk to a bus stop on a main route.