Jump to content

People going to work on bikes.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, catmiss said:

I’m quite happy for cyclists to take their chances on the road as is their choice but please don’t invade the pavement and put me at risk when a bus or tram is up your rear end or when you can’t get through traffic as quick as you want 

I'm quite happy for pedestrians to cross the road in front of me, or wander along cycle paths, but please don't gawp at your phone whilst doing so, paying zero attention to other users.

Edited by Bargepole23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2019 at 01:15, catmiss said:

I’m quite happy for cyclists to take their chances on the road as is their choice but please don’t invade the pavement and put me at risk when a bus or tram is up your rear end or when you can’t get through traffic as quick as you want 

I don't ride on the pavement, but I do think that the law should be changed to allow slow cycling on the pavement, up to jogging speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I don't ride on the pavement, but I do think that the law should be changed to allow slow cycling on the pavement, up to jogging speed.

Who's going to police speeding cyclists? They can't even be policed with red traffic lights so I highly doubt speed limits on pavements will be enforceable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Who's going to police speeding cyclists? They can't even be policed with red traffic lights so I highly doubt speed limits on pavements will be enforceable.

Impossible to enforce really, but then many laws are.  That doesn't mean that most people don't obey them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2019 at 07:48, Cyclone said:

I don't ride on the pavement, but I do think that the law should be changed to allow slow cycling on the pavement, up to jogging speed.

I don’t think it would be practical within busy city street areas with a lot of pedestrians, but on quieter streets it would.

 

I think there should be a large scale conversion of quieter suburban pavements, and pavements on out of town roads, particularly 50mph and NSL roads, to make them into shared footpaths-cyclepaths. They should have an absolute “cycle gives way to pedestrian” rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Impossible to enforce really, but then many laws are.  That doesn't mean that most people don't obey them.

I'd say most cyclists don't obey red light laws, so would be even less likely to obey pavement speed limits without a speedo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'd say most cyclists don't obey red light laws, so would be even less likely to obey pavement speed limits without a speedo.

I'd say you're wrong on both counts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'd say you're wrong on both counts. 

Can’t say I’ve seen the latter.

 

seen loads of the former - almost every day.

 

a cyclist this morning went round me and through a red light at commonside. Very rare I see cyclists wait at red unless there’s no other option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'd say most cyclists don't obey red light laws, so would be even less likely to obey pavement speed limits without a speedo.

You've got confirmation bias.  There are a minority of cyclists who don't stop for red lights, but they're much less dangerous than the motorists who do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, makapaka said:

Can’t say I’ve seen the latter.

 

seen loads of the former - almost every day.

 

a cyclist this morning went round me and through a red light at commonside. Very rare I see cyclists wait at red unless there’s no other option.

I cycle to work every day. I stop at all red lights,  as do the vast majority of cyclists I see,  in town and along Ecclesall Road, so I'm doubting your statement about it being very rare.

 

In truth though, I would rather see a cyclist going through a red light than another car on the road.  A future full of more and more cars is not sustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2019 at 07:48, Cyclone said:

I don't ride on the pavement, but I do think that the law should be changed to allow slow cycling on the pavement, up to jogging speed.

Personally I don't think it'd be a good idea to change the law. I do think the police should show leniency though, as per the current guidance on the matter.

17 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'd say most cyclists don't obey red light laws, so would be even less likely to obey pavement speed limits without a speedo.

I would agree (based on my own daily experience) that a lot of cyclists don't stop for red lights but it's still a majority that do.

It was only Tuesday that I was pushing my own bike across a crossing (quickest way to get to where I was going that day) when another cyclist tried to go through the red but had to swerve onto the pavement to avoid me, almost hitting a pedestrian in the process.

11 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

In truth though, I would rather see a cyclist going through a red light than another car on the road.  A future full of more and more cars is not sustainable.

Bit of an odd statement, I know I'd rather see another cyclist on the road than another car on the road, but not sure I'd rather see existing cyclists break the law than see another car on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 17/05/2019 at 13:03, Bargepole23 said:

I'm quite happy for pedestrians to cross the road in front of me, or wander along cycle paths, but please don't gawp at your phone whilst doing so, paying zero attention to other users.

I'd say the same for motorists, last week I was nearly wiped out by some multi-tasking chap who was trying to  exit the Grosvenor Casino, holding his phone to his ear while only looking to his left for traffic (I was approaching from the right). He pulled out and I had to swerve to avoid him. If there had been a car deciding to overtake me at that point I could have been typing this from a hospital bed now.

Edited by RootsBooster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.