People going to work on bikes.

13 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Whichever way you try to spin it, more individuals rely on cars than bicycles. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

An entirely different claim, and one which I doubt anyone would have queried.

I suppose I'm a petrol head, part of a drag racing team that runs a 7 second blown alcohol big block Chevy so not the greenest person in the world but Id happily give up my private car money pit before giving up my bicycle. I couldn't function without the convenience of the bike or ebike. 

I  see people in that traffic jam out past ASDA every morning crawling down the parkway one person in each vehicle and I actually feel quite sorry for them. Its as if like in their mind there is no other way. Maybe there isn't so thats all of our faults.

Anyway private car ownership may be a thing of the past in the next 20 years, although I'm still sceptical that level 5 autonomous vehicles will exist by then. The jump from level 3 tech to level 5 is just too big, and we struggle at level 3 even now 

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/car-ownership-its-way-out-could-public-transport-go-same-way-4640

Also in Bristol, they call it car blindness.

https://www.bristol247.com/opinion/your-say/bristol-has-become-car-blind/

I'm also a bit of a petrol head, I have a 5.0 v8, and I go to track days when time and money allows.

But I use my bike at least as frequently, and probably spend longer on the bike in a normal week than I do in the car.

One of the dumbest things I've read in a long time, I'm almost not even sure it's genuine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/262249-30mph-cyclists-more-alarming-50mph-motorists-says-dartmoor-speedwatch-group%3famp

The comments could have been taken out of context, there's no mention of the cars that were going much faster.

Edited by RootsBooster

Yesterday's drive home took an hour and a half. To drive 10 miles.

We can't fix this with road widening, or fiddling around with traffic light timings. We need more people not driving. And that means better and cheaper public transport, and cycle routes.

If you want to improve driving conditions in Sheffield, then your only choice is to persuade* thousands of people that cycling/walking/bus/tram is a better, safer option.

(*And the only way *that* will work, is by actually making it true)

Right now, we're spending £5million on bridgehouses r'bout, to hopefully improve traffic flow a little bit, for a few years. How much are we spending on the alternatives? Alternatives that will work, and give people congestion free options? Sod-all.

We've just thrown away £5million. Because we can't imagine the alternatives. Even though we can go and see them, working, 200 miles across the North sea.

And it's not just 'traffic' that's improved by reigning in car-use. There's a whole list of social/health issues that are improved by better not-car options.

We've got decades of evidence, we know what works, we know what doesn't. We choose to ignore the evidence and carry on pouring all our money into a bottomless list of increasingly minor 'improvements' to the ring road. And, joy of joys, widening the parkway.

(How much will that cost? £100million?)

We could spend a fraction of that money on the alternatives, we'd have better choices, and we wouldn't need to waste our time on all these road projects, and we'd improve driving conditions.

But you saw a cyclist ride through a red light.

5 minutes ago, ads36 said:

But you saw a cyclist ride through a red light.

Who is this question (or statement) to?

Edited by RootsBooster

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

At least Sheffield council hasn't done anything as stupid as this yet:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/birmingham-cycle-highway-traffic-motorists-complaints/

No road space has been taken, how has it made traffic worse?

And £10million for a 2mile, high capacity transport route is pretty much the dictionary definition of a bargain.

We're spending £5million tweaking a very small section of ring road - which will make little difference to the capacity (people-per-hour)

Edited by ads36

59 minutes ago, ads36 said:

No road space has been taken, how has it made traffic worse?

And £10million for a 2mile, high capacity transport route is pretty much the dictionary definition of a bargain.

15 minute journeys now taking up to 45 minutes.

"Traffic has been reduced to a single lane in parts and it is one of the busiest commuter routes into and out of the city."

Did you read the article?

11 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

15 minute journeys now taking up to 45 minutes.

"Traffic has been reduced to a single lane in parts and it is one of the busiest commuter routes into and out of the city."

Did you read the article?

That's quoting someone's false claim on a local newpaper's Facebook page.

Mail and Telegraph suggest Birmingham cycle lane has somehow caused congestion despite zero change to motor vehicle capacity

A spokesperson for Birmingham City Council confirmed that the A34 remains a dual carriageway, except where it was always briefly single lane coming out of the city at a junction.

I have, the number of lanes on the a34 has not been reduced.

The article is wrong. 

8 hours ago, altus said:

That's quoting someone's false claim on a local newpaper's Facebook page.

Mail and Telegraph suggest Birmingham cycle lane has somehow caused congestion despite zero change to motor vehicle capacity

Ok, so it looks like I've fallen for fake news on The Independent site of all places.