People going to work on bikes.

11 hours ago, Magneteer said:

mmm,   I think your'e over egging all this, the pair of you. In 20 years of commuter cycling I've never seen or experienced that style of overtaking, in fact I mainly witness drivers with cyclist empathy, although there are careless drivers out there i'm sure.

You've never had someone overtake you too close?  I don't know what to say, it happens on a pretty much daily basis.

I've had two people turn left whilst overtaking me as well, and someone else run into the back of me and then drive off when I picked myself and my bike up out of the road.

10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

This is becoming a circular argument. The fact that he can is because his chance of getting caught is so slim, which is what I was pointing out pages ago to Cyclone to show why his low speed limits for cyclists on pavements would never work. That comment sparked around 10 pages of debate.

No, it wasn't.  It was because you claimed that most cyclists did it.

Re: cycling on pavements, we already have shared pedestrian/cyclist spaces, and they seem to work okay.  They should be the default.

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Because they are. Simple as that.

Well, look at your power of reasoning and debate, you've clearly got us there.  QED.

Feel free to come back anytime you have a real response to try to justify this one.

22 hours ago, Magneteer said:

I cycle from malin bridge to Amrc at Catcliffe in about 40 minutes as opposed to 30 in the car. Yes I do use the pavement sometimes ( like cops on bikes) when I consider it neccessary and ( wait for the howls of anguish)  go through reds sometimes ie,  peds have all crossed the crossing, shall I sit here another 20 seconds till the lights change?  Think not.  Can't honestly see what all the fuss is about. 

The fuss, as others have posted, is that your ignoring of red lights contributes to the opinion of some motorists who delight in being presented with evidence to support their belief that cyclists are some sort of enemy. 

I experience the consequences of this almost every time I go out on  my bike. 

What really galls is the fact that I never ride on pavements and never go through red lights so I have contributed absolutely nothing to the mindset of these people and am being put in danger because of the actions of people like you.

HTH.

Edited by Lockjaw

15 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

This is becoming a circular argument. The fact that he can is because his chance of getting caught is so slim, which is what I was pointing out pages ago to Cyclone to show why his low speed limits for cyclists on pavements would never work. That comment sparked around 10 pages of debate.

I was talking about the necessity of cars and bikes though.

Your simplistic assertion that cars are necessary and bikes are not, only applies to a limited demographic - see post #207

Getting back on topic, barriers to cycling to work.  

This could be a game changer, particularly in Sheffield where 51 % of commutes to work are under 5 km ,  77% are under 10km and hills are seen as an issue 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-ushers-in-new-era-of-green-commutes-with-e-bike-cycle-to-work-scheme

More companies are giving up on workplace parking

https://road.cc/content/news/261595-hsbc-uk-cuts-90-cent-staff-car-parking-encourage-workers-bikes

And the under 25s are turning their back on car ownership and not even taking driving tests. Its no longer seen as a right of passage moment as it was for my generation 

The days of the single occupancy  private car with a driver and 80% unused seats are numbered 

HSBC haven't done it to encourage squat.  It's cheaper to rent an office building with no parking, and the government restrict the amount of parking available to office building developers.

Most of the staff (and it's only gone from about 200 spaces to 8 ) will simply park in the nearest NCP and pay £6 a day.  As most of the staff do anyway because there are far more staff currently than there are parking spaces.

Based on the bike sheds I'd say that about max 100 people cycle to Griffin House, and far less on a day like today.

There are quite a few who walk or get public transport though, more than half my team don't drive to work!

Edited by Cyclone

4 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

I was talking about the necessity of cars and bikes though.

Your simplistic assertion that cars are necessary and bikes are not, only applies to a limited demographic - see post #207

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Re: cycling on pavements, we already have shared pedestrian/cyclist spaces, and they seem to work okay.  They should be the default.

Yes, I even pointed this out earlier in the thread, but they're clearly segregated with separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists.

Well, look at your power of reasoning and debate, you've clearly got us there.  QED.

Feel free to come back anytime you have a real response to try to justify this one.

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles. It should be too obvious an argument to have to make.

On 09/06/2019 at 08:37, WiseOwl182 said:

Ok, let's rephrase slightly. Cycling is by far the least necessary out of cycling, walking and road vehicles (cars and buses).

Funny, I don't see any mention of "to society" in the statement.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:52, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes, I even pointed this out earlier in the thread, but they're clearly segregated with separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists.

No, you're wrong, that's not what shared space means.  There certainly are segregated cycle lanes, but these are not shared space.

On 11/06/2019 at 17:52, WiseOwl182 said:

Cars are more necessary. If society was without cars tomorrow, it would collapse. The same just can't be said about bicycles.

This thread isn't about the necessity of cars in society as a whole, it's about people cycling to work in Sheffield.

That reduces matters to an individual level, each person has different circumstances and requirements in their lives, your claim that cars are more necessary will only apply to a limited demographic. To many people a bike is necessary and a car is not.

Or some days, a bike may be more necessary, while other days a car may be more necessary.

Edited by RootsBooster

Absolutely, I'd agree with that as it fits my circumstances.   For commuting the bike is more "necessary" for me than the car, and at other times the car is a necessity as there are journeys that a bike isn't suitable for and where the public transport options are very poor.

For someone who simply doesn't cycle I can see how they'd make the mistake that bikes aren't necessary, at least if they were mistakenly thinking that everyone is like them.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

For someone who simply doesn't cycle I can see how they'd make the mistake that bikes aren't necessary, at least if they were mistakenly thinking that everyone is like them.

Indeed, I'd never considered cycling to work until it occurred to me that I easily cover the same distance on my Saturday morning leisure ride.

Before that, the thought of cycling into town had seemed like an incredible inconvenience. After I checked Google maps and saw that the estimated ride duration would be the same as driving (in morning traffic conditions), I decided to give it a go.

Funny, I don't see any mention of "to society" in the statement.

Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

No, you're wrong, that's not what shared space means.  There certainly are segregated cycle lanes, but these are not shared space.

Then I disagree with shared spaces. Cyclists and pedestrians should be segregated.

8 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

This thread isn't about the necessity of cars in society as a whole, it's about people cycling to work in Sheffield.

That reduces matters to an individual level, each person has different circumstances and requirements in their lives, your claim that cars are more necessary will only apply to a limited demographic. To many people a bike is necessary and a car is not.

Or some days, a bike may be more necessary, while other days a car may be more necessary.

Whichever way you try to spin it, more individuals rely on cars than bicycles. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

I've been cycling to work for the last 15 years and everyday it takes me less time than it would to drive.  Thats a lot of saved time