People going to work on bikes.

On 30/04/2019 at 18:55, PRESLEY said:

Just watched a report on look north saying  only 5% of people in Sheffield go to work on bikes compared with York at 20% . No flamin wonder,  York havn"t got the flippin hills weve got.  :rant:

Until late last year, I wouldn't have thought it feasible for me to cycle my full journey to work (10 miles). After looking online at the cycle routes available, I found that the hilly terrain isn't so bad (with a decent, geared bike). I cycle to work (the whole hog) one or two times a week, the rest of the week doing only a partial ride in to work. 

Edited by RootsBooster

6 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

It strikes me as odd that in cycling threads, whenever negative behaviour/habits (of cyclists) are mentioned, there is almost always a response or two that bring motorists' negative behaviour/habits up. In contrast, on most threads about motorists nobody (with the likely exception of Penistone999) tends to mention the bad habits of cyclists.

To posters who are trying to highlight motorists' behaviour, what is your point? Two wrongs can make a right?

I see cyclists run red lights every day, much more than motorists. This is likely because my route takes me past certain points which have a high volume of cycle traffic, with a few hotspots for red light jumping (this was covered in a previous thread). 

There is a difference, in my opinion, in how most motorists & cyclists run red lights - I find that RLJ motorists will usually run a red light while trying to 'beat' the red, speeding up on amber to try and get through. This is absolutely the most dangerous of the two, no doubt and no debate.

RLJ cyclists tend to just go through a red regardless of how long it's been red, showing completely wilful ignorance.

There is quite a divide in attitude toward red lights in the cycling community, for those who are non-cyclists you only need to browse through one of the many cycling forums to see the endless debates about it (Cycle Chat, Bike Radar, Cycle UK, etc).

Is that what you see?  I see the exact opposite, in any discussion about the road generally, particularly in town, someone will bring up the bad behaviour of cyclists.

I thought that the point was very clear, motorists rarely generalise about motorists, they however cannot resist generalising about cyclists.  Presumably because they aren't one themselves, so they are other and thus they can be tribal about it.  Cyclists on the other hand are generally motorists as well, and so don't do that.

I do agree about the difference in how lights are run.  Some cyclists clearly have no intention of stopping and how long it's been red is irrelevant to them.

Edited by Cyclone

14 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Is that what you see?  I see the exact opposite, in any discussion about the road generally, particularly in town, someone will bring up the bad behaviour of cyclists.

I thought that the point was very clear, motorists rarely generalise about motorists, they however cannot resist generalising about cyclists.  Presumably because they aren't one themselves, so they are other and thus they can be tribal about it.  Cyclists on the other hand are generally motorists as well, and so don't do that.

I do agree about the difference in how lights are run.  Some cyclists clearly have no intention of stopping and how long it's been red is irrelevant to them.

I think you need to make a distinction between 'motorists' and motorists who post on threads like these.

For example, are you a motorist, or purely a cyclist?

I'm a motorist, and cycle (but only off-road). I don't generalise about cyclists.

6 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

Until late last year, I wouldn't have thought it feasible for me to cycle my full journey to work (10 miles). After looking online at the cycle routes available, I found that the hilly terrain isn't so bad (with a decent, geared bike). I cycle to work (the whole hog) one or two times a week, the rest of the week doing only a partial ride in to work. 

Do you tow the car behind the bike, then get in it and drive the last part?

14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Presumably no other problems either.  Not a single car speeding, nobody in the wrong lane, definitely not a car making an illegal turn.

I'll let you know what I see later, I'd be shocked if I don't see at least one moderately serious offence from a motorist on my 15 min commute.

We weren't talking about those things, only red lights.

On 31/05/2019 at 22:16, WiseOwl182 said:

We weren't talking about those things, only red lights.

I saw 2 cars run red lights yesterday, didn't see any cyclists though.  They were of the style that Rootsbooster described, light changed, driver accelerated towards the amber, ran the red by a second or two.

And you might have wanted to keep all the other motorist misbehaviour out of it, but you don't own the conversation, I mentioned an illegal left turn back at post #127, you ignored it because you're not interested in when motorists misbehave and endanger lives.

Edited by Cyclone

They must stink when they actually get into the office. I doubt every workplace in the country has showers.

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I saw 2 cars run red lights yesterday, didn't see any cyclists though.  They were of the style that Rootsbooster described, light changed, driver accelerated towards the amber, ran the red by a second or two.

And you might have wanted to keep all the other motorist misbehaviour out of it, but you don't own the conversation, I mentioned an illegal left turn back at post #127, you ignored it because you're not interested in when motorists misbehave and endanger lives.

A higher proportion of cyclists run red lights than motorists.

If youre going to state 'facts' please be prepared to also post links etc to back them up.

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

If youre going to state 'facts' please be prepared to also post links etc to back them up.

Thank you.

Really? Is that in the forum rules somewhere? Must've missed that one, as nobody else seems to stick to it.

Here you go.

"The Institute of Advanced Motorists have also revealed in their research that 57% of cyclists admit to running red lights"

Well that's half your assertion...

Funny how you didn't quote the next sentence though right.

A 2013 YouGov poll found that 35% of cyclists admit to ignoring red lights at least “occasionally.”

But the really key thing is what % of motorists admit to the same thing.

8 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A higher proportion of cyclists run red lights than motorists.

What's that got to do with my statement that I quoted though?

Tell you what, if we're just chucking out random "facts".  A higher proportion of motorists kill people on the roads than cyclists.

Edited by Cyclone

We seem to have strayed way off topic again (two cars drove through a red light in front of a police car today on Bernard Road today..police took no action)

More interesting and relevant story is coming out about HSBC

https://road.cc/content/news/261595-hsbc-uk-cuts-90-cent-staff-car-parking-encourage-workers-bikes

"HSBC UK, which has sponsored British Cycling since 2017, is to cut 90 per cent of staff car parking spaces at two new regional centres in a bid to get employees cycling."

And an update on the work place parking levy which is being considered in Sheffield. This was used in Nottingham to fund the tram extension

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47089134