People going to work on bikes.

1 hour ago, RootsBooster said:

Would you say the same for cars jumping red lights?

no. A car and a push bike are different aren't they. Hence the 'if there's no negative effect' qualification.

7 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

no. A car and a push bike are different aren't they. Hence the 'if there's no negative effect' qualification.

That was my point entirely, if there's no negative effect from the car going through a red light, how would that be any different?

3 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

That was my point entirely, if there's no negative effect from the car going through a red light, how would that be any different?

oh, I see. I suppose if there wa sno negative then many people would be tempted to go through. If you were sat at a pedestrian crossing at 3am, completely deserted, you might go through.

What I mean is, generally a bike going though lights is generally only endangering themselves.

In the scheme of things, I suppose i'm saying I don't particularly care if they do it. No harm done, and a small benefit of making road traffic less busy.

5 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

oh, I see. I suppose if there wa sno negative then many people would be tempted to go through. If you were sat at a pedestrian crossing at 3am, completely deserted, you might go through.

What I mean is, generally a bike going though lights is generally only endangering themselves.

In the scheme of things, I suppose i'm saying I don't particularly care if they do it. No harm done, and a small benefit of making road traffic less busy.

A cyclist running a red light has the potential to fatally a pedestrian crossing.

The red light means stop. Cyclists shouldn't pick and choose when to adhere to it, just as drivers shouldn't (and generally don't, since their vehicles are identifiable).

13 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

A cyclist running a red light has the potential to fatally a pedestrian crossing.

The red light means stop. Cyclists shouldn't pick and choose when to adhere to it, just as drivers shouldn't (and generally don't, since their vehicles are identifiable).

How many red light jumpers did you see yesterday, be honest now?

I saw a car make an illegal left turn at Hillsborough corner across the pedestrian crossing on green.  Not the first time I've seen it either.

11 hours ago, Cyclone said:

They're all too busy tapping away on their phones to notice, not that I'm tarring them all with the same brush of course.

Edited by Magneteer

5 minutes ago, Magneteer said:

They're all to busy tapping away on their phones to notice, not that I'm tarring them all with the same brush of course.

As a cyclist I can confirm that many people use their phones on their laps in slow moving traffic probably for facebook rather than making calls or texting

I saw a car make an illegal left turn at Hillsborough corner across the pedestrian crossing on green.  Not the first time I've seen it either.

Yesterday I saw 1 cyclist run a red light. I didn't see any of the other 2 cyclists I saw approach a red light, so don't know if they were jumpers or not.

Edited by WiseOwl182

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yesterday I saw 1 cyclist run a red light. I didn't see any of the other 2 cyclists I saw approach a red light, so don't know if they were jumpers or not.

And the cars?

And the cars?

I didn't see any cars run red lights, nor today either.

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I didn't see any cars run red lights, nor today either.

Presumably no other problems either.  Not a single car speeding, nobody in the wrong lane, definitely not a car making an illegal turn.

I'll let you know what I see later, I'd be shocked if I don't see at least one moderately serious offence from a motorist on my 15 min commute.

It strikes me as odd that in cycling threads, whenever negative behaviour/habits (of cyclists) are mentioned, there is almost always a response or two that bring motorists' negative behaviour/habits up. In contrast, on most threads about motorists nobody (with the likely exception of Penistone999) tends to mention the bad habits of cyclists.

To posters who are trying to highlight motorists' behaviour, what is your point? Two wrongs can make a right?

I see cyclists run red lights every day, much more than motorists. This is likely because my route takes me past certain points which have a high volume of cycle traffic, with a few hotspots for red light jumping (this was covered in a previous thread). 

There is a difference, in my opinion, in how most motorists & cyclists run red lights - I find that RLJ motorists will usually run a red light while trying to 'beat' the red, speeding up on amber to try and get through. This is absolutely the most dangerous of the two, no doubt and no debate.

RLJ cyclists tend to just go through a red regardless of how long it's been red, showing completely wilful ignorance.

There is quite a divide in attitude toward red lights in the cycling community, for those who are non-cyclists you only need to browse through one of the many cycling forums to see the endless debates about it (Cycle Chat, Bike Radar, Cycle UK, etc).