People going to work on bikes.

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You didn't though did you.

That's what you actually said.

So anyone who cycles, you've just called mad.  You've also told them that what they're doing is outdated, with the implication being that they should catch up with the times and get in the much more up to date car presumably.

So, I didn't take it personally, I thought I'd just explain to you why it was neither outdated, nor madness.

And the feeling of it being unsafe, that's exactly what we've been talking about, address that problem through dedicated infrastructure that separates cycles from motor traffic (and ideally from pedestrians as well) and even someone like you might give it a try.

Outdated in the sense that the motor car has completely taken over and made it, for me, feel unsafe.

To the point where watching people tootle around busy roads on a bike with cars and buses flying past, sometimes with a baby sat on a plastic seat attached to the back seems pretty mad to me -yes.  Although I know the people are probably not literally "mad" if that has upset you.

And I agree  with your last point.

It's clearly not "completely taken over", you can see many bikes out and about in Sheffield and more in cities like Cambridge.

No, it hasn't upset me.  I'd be surprised if you weren't reactionary towards something you don't chose to do yourself.

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's clearly not "completely taken over", you can see many bikes out and about in Sheffield and more in cities like Cambridge.

No, it hasn't upset me.  I'd be surprised if you weren't reactionary towards something you don't chose to do yourself.

I think its a bit naive to think that cars haven't taken over our cities. Regardless of whether you see people riding bikes.

The number of cars on the road increase every year.

So you're going to try to "win" the point that cycling is outdated are you.  I don't know if you lack observational skills, reasoning capability or imagination, but instead of arguing about this for pages why don't you just accept that not everyone is going to agree with that, and I'll accept that it's your opinion.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

So you're going to try to "win" the point that cycling is outdated are you.  I don't know if you lack observational skills, reasoning capability or imagination, but instead of arguing about this for pages why don't you just accept that not everyone is going to agree with that, and I'll accept that it's your opinion.

its not me dragging it on or trying to win. I said what i thought and you’ve sought to discredit pretty much every part of my argument I presume because you don’t agree.

you could have just accepted my opinion in the first place but you got distracted again with trying to prove my opinion to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

its not me dragging it on or trying to win. I said what i thought and you’ve sought to discredit pretty much every part of my argument I presume because you don’t agree.

you could have just accepted my opinion in the first place but you got distracted again with trying to prove my opinion to be wrong. 

It is wrong isn't it.  But feel free to prove cycling outdated and not be wrong...  Over to you.

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It is wrong isn't it.  But feel free to prove cycling outdated and not be wrong...  Over to you.

There you go again - you can’t help yourself. 

Bless.

It's just taken me an hour and a half to drive ~9 miles.

Saw a cyclist being stretchered off abbeydale road this morning.

Driving is crap, I don't want to do it, but I really don't feel I've got much of a choice. So I'll be back in the car tomorrow. 

Edited by ads36

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

There you go again - you can’t help yourself. 

Bless.

Still waiting, go ahead, prove it.

I’m quite happy for cyclists to take their chances on the road as is their choice but please don’t invade the pavement and put me at risk when a bus or tram is up your rear end or when you can’t get through traffic as quick as you want 

11 hours ago, catmiss said:

I’m quite happy for cyclists to take their chances on the road as is their choice but please don’t invade the pavement and put me at risk when a bus or tram is up your rear end or when you can’t get through traffic as quick as you want 

I'm quite happy for pedestrians to cross the road in front of me, or wander along cycle paths, but please don't gawp at your phone whilst doing so, paying zero attention to other users.

Edited by Bargepole23

On 17/05/2019 at 01:15, catmiss said:

I don't ride on the pavement, but I do think that the law should be changed to allow slow cycling on the pavement, up to jogging speed.