People going to work on bikes.

7 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yeah, none of them fancy derailers for us eh? ☹️

Nothing fancy about it at all.

A derailleur is a crude spring loaded plate which basically drags the chain from one cog to another. A Sturmey Archer hub is more like a car gearbox where a collection of planetary gears slide up and down on shafts to provide different ratios.

A whole gearbox in a thing smaller than a coke can! I wonder if it ever won any design awards? 😀👍

58 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Nothing fancy about it at all.

A derailleur is a crude spring loaded plate which basically drags the chain from one cog to another. A Sturmey Archer hub is more like a car gearbox where a collection of planetary gears slide up and down on shafts to provide different ratios.

A whole gearbox in a thing smaller than a coke can! I wonder if it ever won any design awards? 😀👍

Maybe not fancy, but the bikes that had them on were a fancy price.  lol

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The story that crops up in The Star now & again & makes me laugh are the cyclists who are trying to get Stagecoach to allow them to take their bikes on the tram so they can get to the city centre to cycle around? 

Presumably up & down Fargate & The Moor amongst the pedestrians? 

Why would that make you laugh? Are they not allowed in the city centre, with its multitude of roads?

Try posting something requiring an original thought.

15 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why would that make you laugh? Are they not allowed in the city centre, with its multitude of roads?

Thats what the poster is saying. They dont use the Multitude of roads. :roll:

6 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Regular running to a certain standard will build up protection for most joints but the reality of running is people, usually overweight, running, getting fed up, stopping, starting again never giving their body to develop that protection.

That's not any reality that I see, nor what you said.

I know a lot of people of that run, they do it week in, week out, have done for years, probably will do for years more.  I run at least twice a week, sometimes 3 times, I'm not overweight, I've run like this for 7 years now according to Strava, but I ran before then.

Why do people do this.  They get something in their head, then despite evidence to the contrary they refuse to change their mind.

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The story that crops up in The Star now & again & makes me laugh are the cyclists who are trying to get Stagecoach to allow them to take their bikes on the tram so they can get to the city centre to cycle around? 

Presumably up & down Fargate & The Moor amongst the pedestrians? 

It's a pain.  I've had a flat on the way to work and had to walk about 2.5k pushing the bike because I'm not allowed to hop on the tram with it.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Thats what the poster is saying. They dont use the Multitude of roads. :roll:

Except that's not remotely true, is it.

13 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

...doctors and Scientist proved walking causes more damage than running. 

It turns out, that exercise is good for us, it's kind of hard to get it wrong.

Want to know what's *really* bad for your health? - not exercising.

Which is another reason to create safe cycle routes, and another reason why it would more or less pay for itself.

More people are using e-bikes to get to work and back now; helps with the hills and means fewer cars on the road. As well as geography, the poor infrastructure doesn't help. However, things are changing...the new parking restrictions on Clarkehouse Road have made a huge improvement for cyclists, as well as improving the vehicle traffic flow.

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Less of the condescending, sarky comments if you don't mind.  Remember two can play at that game. 

Although clearly you don't get why I find it funny so I'll have another go & pitch my response as though I'm discussing with my youngest grandson.

Adult cyclists, extolling the not only the health benefits of cycling but also how quickly they can get around the city by bike, which is also a free form of transport, want to put their transport onto another form of transport, PAY for the privilege & sit, (lack of exercise),  while the tram wends its way into the city centre. 

It'd be like me taking one car, sticking it on a trailer & then hitching it to the other car & taking them both into the city. 

Er, yes. Seems reasonable (except your weird analogy).

There's a tram stop about 2 miles from my house. I wouldn't walk that far to use a tram into the city centre, or beyond - Rotherham. But 2 miles is only an easy 10 minutes by bike. 

Letting people take their bikes on public transport opens lots of options for long-distance car-free travel.

It works really well in places where they try it. Right now, this very minute, thousands of people in the Netherlands are on a train/tram, with their bike.

But, this is Britain, where transport planning = cars.

Edited by ads36

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

Er, yes. Seems reasonable (except your weird analogy).

There's a tram stop about 2 miles from my house. I wouldn't walk that far to use a tram into the city centre, or beyond - Rotherham. But 2 miles is only an easy 10 minutes by bike. 

Letting people take their bikes on public transport opens lots of options for long-distance car-free travel.

It works really well in places where they try it. Right now, this very minute, thousands of people in the Netherlands are on a train/tram, with their bike.

But, this is Britain, where transport planning = cars.

The trams and tram/trains are not designed to carry bikes. 

There are no storage areas or restraints.

There is no protection from damage to the person or damage to clothes and property by bicycles. There is no insurance to cover these. 

The design means the bikes will block emergency access and disabled access.

Journey times particularly at rush hour would be extended.

No ability to control the number of bikes being allowed on particularly during the rush hour.

There are two obvious alternatives and still use the tram:

Get a bike for both ends of the route.

Get a Brompton with case. Can be used on buses as well.

9 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Less of the condescending, sarky comments if you don't mind.  Remember two can play at that game. 

Although clearly you don't get why I find it funny so I'll have another go & pitch my response as though I'm discussing with my youngest grandson.

Adult cyclists, extolling the not only the health benefits of cycling but also how quickly they can get around the city by bike, which is also a free form of transport, want to put their transport onto another form of transport, PAY for the privilege & sit, (lack of exercise),  while the tram wends its way into the city centre. 

It'd be like me taking one car, sticking it on a trailer & then hitching it to the other car & taking them both into the city. 

Your analogy is wrong. You assume that everyone riding a bike is doing it for the exercise.

People might take a bike into the city because it's an appropriate and easy way to get around in a localised area. The long journey to/from the suburbs might be too long for them.

It's called multimodal transport. Ask your youngest grandson to explain it to you.

Edited by Bargepole23