People going to work on bikes.

I used to run in to (and home from) work, 2 or 3 times a week. Up Granville road and City road and down Mansfield road; bang on 3 mile each way. Recon it was a fair bit quicker than the bus at rush hour. Used to enjoy it, would often cut through the park; very pleasant way to commute if the weather is good.

Probably safer than cycling as well.  But it's definitely sweatier, requires a shower after instead of just a change of t-shirt.  And I'm not a fan of 2 * 5k run everyday, so I prefer to cycle.

5 hours ago, carosio said:

Presuming that cyclists on here are familiar with it, isn't the straight stretch of Manchester Rd up to the Bell Hagg also known as a "magnetic hill" ?

Yes or now more commonly known as a gravity hill. The only true magnetic hill is somewhere in the Andes I think, where an iron ball on the end of a piece of string doesn't hang vertically because of the magnetic pull of a nearby mountain which is practically made of iron ore!

Most 'gravity hills' are a combination of no visible horizon in combination with a physical feature like a row of wind blown trees or telegraph poles which are all leaning at a similar angle. In the absence of a reference like a horizon, the brain will see the trees or polls as vertical because that's what it expects. The result of this is that the road which slopes in one direction appears to be sloping in the other direction.

8 hours ago, willman said:

I used to cycle from Hackenthorpe to the steelworks on Petre St and home again.

Prince of Wales Rd was a pig of a hill on an old 12 speed,that was probably made from cast iron at the time.

12 speed? Used to dream of them when I worked in the Sheffield steelworks. I had one of them little 3 speed levers on the handlebars and had to walk up hills dragging the bike with me.  lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

And I'm not a fan of 2 * 5k run everyday, so I prefer to cycle.

I don't get why anyone runs. It eventually damages the knees, hips and lower spine. Cycling supports the hips and back* and if you use gears properly and ride with a constant cadence your knees won't be damaged either.

(*remember to set up your riding position properly and index your gears. It will take a lot of effort out of riding a bike.)

28 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

12 speed? Used to dream of them when I worked in the Sheffield steelworks. I had one of them little 3 speed levers on the handlebars and had to walk up hills dragging the bike with me.  lol

Me too,  was that the Sturmey Archer gear, I seem to remember.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't get why anyone runs. It eventually damages the knees, hips and lower spine. Cycling supports the hips and back* and if you use gears properly and ride with a constant cadence your knees won't be damaged either.

(*remember to set up your riding position properly and index your gears. It will take a lot of effort out of riding a bike.)

I don't think that's true.  The latest research shows that regular running actually protects the joins involved.

https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20846671/will-running-ruin-my-knees/

Recent research on running and its effects on knees seems to indicate that the benefits of running outweigh the risks. In fact, continuous exercise actually appears to protect the knee joint, rather than contribute to its destruction. Studies have discovered that "no major new internal damage" to the knee joint was found even after following runners for 10 to 20 years.

There are many more articles, but I think largely linking back to the same research.

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20827772/osteoarthritis-in-runners/

Edited by Cyclone

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't get why anyone runs. It eventually damages the knees, hips and lower spine.

The evidence says otherwise.

More or less the exact opposite.

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I don't think that's true.  The latest research shows that regular running actually protects the joins involved.

Regular running to a certain standard will build up protection for most joints but the reality of running is people, usually overweight, running, getting fed up, stopping, starting again never giving their body to develop that protection.

19 minutes ago, Padders said:

The Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub!

The reason why I can strip down, fix and rebuild pretty much anything is because aged 8 or 9, my dad made me (with some assistance) completely strip down and rebuild my Sturmey Archer hub using an 'exploded' technical drawing he got from somewhere.

17 hours ago, carosio said:

It wouldn't; once out of their cars they discovered there were things like hills, rain, wind and ice, and how hard it was to fight them just using pedal power. 🙁

The story that crops up in The Star now & again & makes me laugh are the cyclists who are trying to get Stagecoach to allow them to take their bikes on the tram so they can get to the city centre to cycle around? 

Presumably up & down Fargate & The Moor amongst the pedestrians? 

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Yeah, none of them fancy derailers for us eh? ☹️

56 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The evidence says otherwise.

More or less the exact opposite.

True, there was a show on BBC1 Where doctors and Scientist proved walking causes more damage than running.  Just going on what I watched. 🙂