People going to work on bikes.

Just watched a report on look north saying  only 5% of people in Sheffield go to work on bikes compared with York at 20% . No flamin wonder,  York havn"t got the flippin hills weve got.  :rant:

I cycle in Sheffield and sometimes am looked at as though I've beamed down from Mars!

2014 was funny after the Tour de France came to Sheffield and all of a sudden there was a whole bunch of families on new bikes wearing matching clobber.

That didn't last long. 🚴  😏

:hihi:I know what you mean,  when we were youngens  we were all out on our street playing tennis  when Wimbledon was on same  as  world cup everybody out playin football,  even our dads.  Council used to be out every other day putting new paynes in the windows. :hihi:

What happened to the OFO company & all their yellow bikes?  It only dawned on me a few weeks ago that I'd not seen one in perhaps a year. 

i sometimes ride to work, but not as much as I should/used to - it's just not safe enough. Which is a shame, as I hate driving to work, it's expensive and slow, and stressful. 

The ofo bikes? The companies business model was totally flawed, and all the bikes got nicked/ vandalised.

Edited by ads36

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I cycle in Sheffield and sometimes am looked at as though I've beamed down from Mars!

2014 was funny after the Tour de France came to Sheffield and all of a sudden there was a whole bunch of families on new bikes wearing matching clobber.

That didn't last long. 🚴  😏

It wouldn't; once out of their cars they discovered there were things like hills, rain, wind and ice, and how hard it was to fight them just using pedal power. 🙁

13 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

for every hill you cycle up.   

you get to freewheel down the other side.

Although if you work in Sheffield centre it's more likely you'd freewheel down to work but have to cycle up the same road home - after a full days work.

Oh god not that load of old tut.   Only manual work = real hard work.    Only hands on workers get tired.  etc... etc....

Jeez, I thought we were in 2019 not 1969.

Back to the proper topic, I would say that there are two main issues which gives  a disincentive for cycling in the city.  Firstly is the obvious geography.    We are not York or Cambridge or London.   We dont have miles and miles of flat streets just perfect for an easy pedal along.    Secondly, we have limited (if any) well signed, well marked segregated cycle paths.   That puts off timid casual cyclists from even contemplating mixing with live rush hour traffic and puts those who do brave it at greater risk of being in an accident. 

Whether any of that will change in the future remains to be seen.    However, given that we still dont have any high capacity high frequncy metro timetabled off road public transport system - I doubt investment in cycling infrastructure is on its way anytime soon.

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, Easy livin said:

for every hill you cycle up.   

you get to freewheel down the other side.

Not always!

That mad wind we had last month had me actually peddling down a hill against a headwind.

It put me in mind of Electric Brae in Ayrshire where you think you are going uphill but are actually going down! 😵

I used to cycle from Hackenthorpe to the steelworks on Petre St and home again.

Prince of Wales Rd was a pig of a hill on an old 12 speed,that was probably made from cast iron at the time.

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not always!

That mad wind we had last month had me actually peddling down a hill against a headwind.

It put me in mind of Electric Brae in Ayrshire where you think you are going uphill but are actually going down! 😵

Presuming that cyclists on here are familiar with it, isn't the straight stretch of Manchester Rd up to the Bell Hagg also known as a "magnetic hill" ?

Edited by carosio

16 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Just watched a report on look north saying  only 5% of people in Sheffield go to work on bikes compared with York at 20% . No flamin wonder,  York havn"t got the flippin hills weve got.  :rant:

I imagine you're correct, the hills must put many people off.

I wonder if there are other factors as well, does York have a better integrated set of cycle lanes?

11 hours ago, Easy livin said:

if you "work" in the the centre your unlikely to be work out after work.  hardly in the steelworks etc.  so  full of energy to  ride home after a hard days sitting at a desk.  or wandering around a shop

Huh?

I work in the city centre and Longcol is correct, I have to do more of a climb going home than I do going to work, although there are hills both ways due to the way Sheffield undulates.

I take a change of shirt (t-shirt) since I'm in casual dress, but if I had to work in a suit I can see that this would be a bigger problem (although showers are available).