Allegations of rape: Why are police asking victims for their phones?

This discussion now seems to be going round in circles.

It has basically become a debate between those who prioritise the interests of the tiny number of false rape and sexual assault allegations over the many genuine allegations and those who see this as something which will increase the already woefully low under reporting of this offence..

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This discussion now seems to be going round in circles.

It has basically become a debate between those who prioritise the interests of the tiny number of false rape and sexual assault allegations over the many genuine allegations and those who see this as something which will increase the already woefully low under reporting of this offence..

It shouldn’t be a matter of priority.

its just a mechanism for obtaining the correct information to ascertain the true events.

the CPS think it will. At the moment I’m minded to side with them rather than some posters on here - at least until something occurs which makes me think otherwise.

if it assists the cps in proving a rape or false accusation I’m for it - perhaps there just needs to better communication and trust in terms of how the phone is examined when handed over.

Edited by makapaka

13 minutes ago, makapaka said:

its just a mechanism for obtaining the correct information to ascertain the true events.

the CPS think it will. At the moment I’m minded to side with them rather than some posters on here - at least until something occurs which makes me think otherwise.

if it assists the cps in proving a rape or false accusation I’m for it - perhaps there just needs to better communication and trust in terms of how the phone is examined when handed over.

They already have mechanisms to obtain the information. It's about them not wanting to abide by the existing checks and balances. And don't think timeliness is an issue - any information that can be deleted from a phone between a false allegation being made and the police getting a warrant to search the phone can also be deleted from the phone before the allegation is made.

A bigger issue, and one that should be a matter of priority, is the police/CPS not handing information over that could be useful to the defence.

11 hours ago, makapaka said:

Well, it's already been withdrawn hasn't it.  Despite your support of authority at all costs.

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Well, it's already been withdrawn hasn't it.  Despite your support of authority at all costs.

What has been withdrawn and how is it in spite of my support?

There should be no privacy when a crime has been committed.  Police should be able  to search who they like when they like. And the same with searching houses.  :rant:  This is why  there is  so much crime becuse the poor copper cant flippin breath these days. :roll:

On 15/05/2019 at 08:07, Cyclone said:

Absolutely not.  Unless your intent is to deter people from making reports.

The goal should be to deter people from making false reports and false allegations.

Personal comments and insults have been removed. If you cant post without resorting to this then please dont bother.

Thank you.

On 16/05/2019 at 17:04, Lockdoctor said:

The goal should be to deter people from making false reports and false allegations.

Absolutely not, the goal should be to encourage higher levels of reporting of sexual assaults and to (legitimately) increase conviction rates.

Your goal is contrary to that and addresses a far less prevalent problem.

On 16/05/2019 at 12:21, makapaka said:

What has been withdrawn and how is it in spite of my support?

The APCC have asked the CPS to withdrawn the form, on the 5th May, nothing in the news about it since then.

On 16/05/2019 at 17:04, Lockdoctor said:

No. The goal should be to secure more convictions of rapists and sexual abusers. What planet are you on, where you focus on the miniscule numbers of false reports and allegations at the expense of women who are raped and abused? Methinks you're not much of a friend to women and girls.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Absolutely not, the goal should be to encourage higher levels of reporting of sexual assaults and to (legitimately) increase conviction rates.

Your goal is contrary to that and addresses a far less prevalent problem.

The APCC have asked the CPS to withdrawn the form, on the 5th May, nothing in the news about it since then.

You said it had already been withdrawn?