BLADES memories

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:56, kevvy said:

1973.    I think,  Tony Currie  sitting on the ball in  front of Alan Ball. The Blades won Arsenal  5 - 0.

My brother and I were present at that game Alan  Ball did the sitting on the ball trick first then Currie repeated it later in the same match much to Ball,s chagrin,you couldn,t better Tony no way!.He was my favourite player in those days,what about the night match we played Leeds when they were beating every team in sight and we beat them good style!.Without doubt they were the most petulant dirty side I have ever seen,they were very good at dishing it out but not so good on the receiving  end,they showed themselves up that night!.I don,t know if its true but an ex united player told me that Bremner said to Tony Currie as they trooped off the pitch"There,s a broken leg waiting for you at Elland Road !",maybe a rumour but at the return game we attended Currie was kicked all over the pitch so I tend to believe it!.

3 hours ago, old tup said:

My brother and I were present at that game Alan  Ball did the sitting on the ball trick first then Currie repeated it later in the same match much to Ball,s chagrin,you couldn,t better Tony no way!.He was my favourite player in those days,what about the night match we played Leeds when they were beating every team in sight and we beat them good style!.Without doubt they were the most petulant dirty side I have ever seen,they were very good at dishing it out but not so good on the receiving  end,they showed themselves up that night!.I don,t know if its true but an ex united player told me that Bremner said to Tony Currie as they trooped off the pitch"There,s a broken leg waiting for you at Elland Road !",maybe a rumour but at the return game we attended Currie was kicked all over the pitch so I tend to believe it!.

Well they have not changed much have they. A horrid grubby little club hated by most fans across the country.

4 hours ago, old tup said:

Maybe I got my wires crossed, but didn't Alan Ball once score a goal or maybe had a shot on goal, at the Lane without his boot on? I wasn't there and not sure if it was with Everton or Blackpool. 

Talking of that Leeds side, their best player by a mile was Giles, but he was also their dirtiest, but he was sneaky with it and got away with a lot. I was at a Leeds match at the Lane and was not far from the corner flag, where Giles studded Woodward on the shin(no shin pad) with his back to the ref and the linesman. No cameras there so only the crowd at my end saw what happened, totally intentional. I think the ref. actually booked a United player who saw it, for arguing.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Some younger fans today can't understand why they are hated, but if you lived through that era and saw them play, you don't forget.  Perfectly summed up in the film  The Damned United, when Brian Clough met them at his first training session! 

22 hours ago, old tup said:

Might be wrong but I think the Alan Ball incident which was copied by Currie were at two separate games. The first of which was a 5-0 hammering by Arsenal the second was a Blades  5-0 pay back game and TC returned the complement ?

Leeds were a dirty outfit during those days. I do, however, remember the Blades winning 1-0 when Woodward went in goal after Hodgy was injured and Mick Hill scored the winner. Leeds had just signed Mick Jones from us. We enjoyed chanting " You bought the wrong one " back at them. Happy days. Although we were relegated at the end of that season 😁

Does anyone remember Alan Woodwards party trick in those days in the 70s,he used to regularly score direct from a corner kick!,I saw him do it quite a few times!.Our center forward Billy Deardon not tall and beefy like most strikers then but he knew where the net was alright!,when he ran with the ball he always looked like would trip up but he never did!.Eddie Colquen ,I think that's the right spelling,centre half had dodgy ankles ,he always wore special boots to protect them!.Jeff Salmons left winger could run like a train if he was tackled he would roll for yards with the momentum he was going!.Gill Reece the Wales right winger was a good player also,the team always punched above their weight and don,t forget the best player we have ever had before or since Tony Currie!.

18 minutes ago, old tup said:

Does anyone remember Alan Woodwards party trick in those days in the 70s,he used to regularly score direct from a corner kick!,I saw him do it quite a few times!.Our center forward Billy Deardon not tall and beefy like most strikers then but he knew where the net was alright!,when he ran with the ball he always looked like would trip up but he never did!.Eddie Colquen ,I think that's the right spelling,centre half had dodgy ankles ,he always wore special boots to protect them!.Jeff Salmons left winger could run like a train if he was tackled he would roll for yards with the momentum he was going!.Gill Reece the Wales right winger was a good player also,the team always punched above their weight and don,t forget the best player we have ever had before or since Tony Currie!.

Woody used to score regular direct from a corner best corner taker ever .He did his trick against Shilton (England goalie) one day and Shilton said it was a fluke so he did it again in the return match.

8 hours ago, old tup said:

Woody used to take corners with the outside of his foot and put it right under the bar,  great corner taker. Reece was the left winger when I first went,  Frank Barlow, Colin Addison  and Geoff Salmons inside right. Dearden was a good underrated player,  then we had a guy who's hardly mention now, John Tudor, helped us to promotion in 70/71, then went to Newcastle and partnered a certain Malcolm Macdonald! 

The early 70s team was brilliant. I was there when Currie sat on the ball as we thumped Arsenal. Also in the John St stand directly in line with the Currie thunderbolt that went in the far corner of Ray Clemences goal against Liverpool, I knew it was going in the moment he struck it.

Was at Leicester when I saw Woody score from a corner, that was the first time I saw him do it, he did it again at the Lane a few weeks later when he hit it hard and low and Dave Powell let it run between his legs at the near post.

Saw Dave McKay get sent off at The Lane and was at Old Trafford when Best did nothing for 85 mins and then when Ted Hemsley had to go off, Best came to life and scored THAT goal and then set one up for Alan Gowling. To be honest probably the most intimidated I ever felt at a football match.

Beating Cardiff 5-1 at home to almost secure promotion and then thumping Watford 3-0 to confirm.

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the kop when we played Wigan in a game where Colin Morris centred for a Keith Edwards tap in at the kop end.

Chris Guthrie, the great hope... and he wasn't much of a footballer if I am honest.

Tony Field beating almost every player on the pitch to score.

Billy Sharp scoring a hat trick against QPR, left foot, right foot, header.

Michael Tonge dismantling Liverpool in the cup.

Oh and to continue a theme, was at Elland Road for that return fixture after we did them 3-1 at home, they kicked us to pieces, nastiest, dirtyest, horrible team I ever saw, and they had 10 internationals on the pitch! Giles, sneaky ******** he was. If you go back to that infamous charity shield match, it was Giles that did Keegan, and when Keegan looked round, Giles was nowhere to be seen and Bremner copped it!

Richard

On 05/05/2019 at 15:48, pintor said:

Some younger fans today can't understand why they are hated, but if you lived through that era and saw them play, you don't forget.  Perfectly summed up in the film  The Damned United, when Brian Clough met them at his first training session! 

Yeah, and Cloughie was right, despite his personal vendetta against him, Revie had that team playing the way they did, just like Brian said.  However, that does not excuse some of the crap they did on the pitch.

Edited by Ontarian1981

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 06:19, Ridgewalk said:

Might be wrong but I think the Alan Ball incident which was copied by Currie were at two separate games. The first of which was a 5-0 hammering by Arsenal the second was a Blades  5-0 pay back game and TC returned the complement ?

You are right, they were two separate games, the first one was a Saturday afternoon game (Arsenal were the current league champions then) and the second one was a Tuesday night game the season after.