BLADES memories

1 hour ago, old tup said:

PetCharlie the game when Dave Mckay got sent off was that the one Tony Currie had his debut for United,the one when Currie ran rings round him,I recall John Harris saying in the paper that he was saving Currie for the future!.He played him against Spurs and he was never off the team sheet again,what a buy for £20,000,how much would he be worth nowadays!.

Do you know tup I am not to sure which game it was when McKay got sent off.As for Currie what can you say about him he was magic and he performed magic on the pitch.He was a showman an entertainer the goalie from Manchester has a bit of Currie about him in the way he plays to the fans.He was loved by all the Blades fans and he knew it to.Skipping past defenders one after the other as if they were not there blowing kisses at the kop at the same time long blond hair flowing shirt out of his shorts I can see it now.How much would he be worth?God knows with the crazy money clubs splash out now millions and millions.John Harris like Wilder could pick up real bargains just how much would Dearden be worth ?He paid 10,000 quid for him from Chester over 20 goals a season ,he would be worth a fortune now.Remember him scoring a hatrick against Derby he was up against the two England center halfs at the time Todd and Macfarland he ran them ragged and if they had not pulled him back it would have been four. Happy days and I think Wilder is well on his way to bringing those days back.

1 hour ago, old tup said:

PetCharlie the game when Dave Mckay got sent off was that the one Tony Currie had his debut for United,the one when Currie ran rings round him,I recall John Harris saying in the paper that he was saving Currie for the future!.He played him against Spurs and he was never off the team sheet again,what a buy for £20,000,how much would he be worth nowadays!.

TC was £26,500, scored with a header on his debut against Spurs, missed the next game to get married! 

We had it made in the 70s for Sheffield Football both teams were in the top flight 1st Division,so one week 4 of us my younger brother and a couple of pals would be on the Kop at Hillsborough the next in the middle of John Street stand watching our teams!.We had some real fall outs between us my bro and I Blades the other 2 Owls fans but we always got over it!.Coming up to nowadays it would be great if Wednesday could get promotion next season to the Premiership giving top flight football to Sheffield once again it can only be good for the city rivalries put aside of course as long as United came out on top!.

Currie appeared on Question of Sport twice I think, once as the mystery guest who was digging a trench (the new stand foundations it turned out).. and 2nd as a team member with Emlyn Hughes who as usual giggled his way through the show and constantly referred to Currie as "Teese".. which I assume was short for "T. C."

Woody scoring 4 against Ipswich who were so bad that day even The Badge (as my Dad called him) scored.

Gary Hamson scoring a beaut at the kpp end to beat Leeds in the cup (they signed him not long after).

I also used to watch the reserves a lot, a team with such as Mick Heaton, Steve Faulkner, The Conroys, Alan Ogden, Mick Staniforth, and a young keeper who seemed always to save penalties, Tom McAlister. McAlister had the potential to be a great keeper and would have been I think but for that broken leg against Man City.

Richard

2 hours ago, old tup said:

We had it made in the 70s for Sheffield Football both teams were in the top flight 1st Division,so one week 4 of us my younger brother and a couple of pals would be on the Kop at Hillsborough the next in the middle of John Street stand watching our teams!.We had some real fall outs between us my bro and I Blades the other 2 Owls fans but we always got over it!.Coming up to nowadays it would be great if Wednesday could get promotion next season to the Premiership giving top flight football to Sheffield once again it can only be good for the city rivalries put aside of course as long as United came out on top!.

It would be good you are right.And lets face it this city should be up there with Liverpool and Manchester as for as footy is concerned.As for Leeds well I do not think football is ready for two Leeds teams.The hospitals would be full of footballers crippled wrecks.

16 minutes ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Currie appeared on Question of Sport twice I think, once as the mystery guest who was digging a trench (the new stand foundations it turned out).. and 2nd as a team member with Emlyn Hughes who as usual giggled his way through the show and constantly referred to Currie as "Teese".. which I assume was short for "T. C."

Woody scoring 4 against Ipswich who were so bad that day even The Badge (as my Dad called him) scored.

Gary Hamson scoring a beaut at the kpp end to beat Leeds in the cup (they signed him not long after).

I also used to watch the reserves a lot, a team with such as Mick Heaton, Steve Faulkner, The Conroys, Alan Ogden, Mick Staniforth, and a young keeper who seemed always to save penalties, Tom McAlister. McAlister had the potential to be a great keeper and would have been I think but for that broken leg against Man City.

Richard

Yes I remember the reserve team to rich .One that stood out to me was a young kid called Ludlum I think he played full back also Faulkner a striker .I believe Rod Marsh broke the Keepers leg with a terrible challenge on him .Currie was seething and he did Marsh by the corner flag  five mins after McAlister was carried off.Marsh himself had to be helped off.Although Currie was a magician he could dish it out when needs must.That's probably why Leeds bought him.I remember the Badger goal to it was a screamer just like the Man city one the other night that that their center half scored.

Edited by petcharlie
more info

1 hour ago, petcharlie said:

Yes I remember the reserve team to rich .One that stood out to me was a young kid called Ludlum I think he played full back also Faulkner a striker .I believe Rod Marsh broke the Keepers leg with a terrible challenge on him .Currie was seething and he did Marsh by the corner flag  five mins after McAlister was carried off.Marsh himself had to be helped off.Although Currie was a magician he could dish it out when needs must.That's probably why Leeds bought him.I remember the Badger goal to it was a screamer just like the Man city one the other night that that their center half scored.

Remember Ludlam, steve I think?. Used to  go with my mate in the John st stand, and stand  at the front under the railings,. Remember the Sheffield senior cup, I think they called it?, went to a few of those too,great days!.it was a mad dash back to the station to get the last train home though!

2 hours ago, petcharlie said:

Steve Ludlam, yes, talented player.

Faulkner was a gangly tall blonde centre half who went on to play for York City.

Yes, Rodney Marsh, another nasty piece of work, I will never forget how McAlister shook with pain in the moments after that clash, was on the edge of the box at the kop end. Horrible thing to see.

Richard